EM elective without cores?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

leviathan

Drinking from the hydrant
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are there any emerg electives out there in the US that don't require cores? I have 4 weeks in January before I start Internal Med, but all the places I've been looking require you to be a 4th year student.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I honestly don't know if there are any programs that allow that, but it seems like it would be a bad idea. That is why most (?all?) places only allow fourth years to rotate- because EM builds on the foundation of all of your core clerkships, and it will be really difficult to be successful and keep up with the pace of the ED without having taken internal medicine. Good luck!

I did extensive research on this last year (as a 3rd year). What I found was very few programs took 3rd years, and the ones that did required at least Surgery and Int Med (HCMC, Nevada, UCLA-Harbor) or that it be the last rotation of 3rd year (Utah).

Members don't see this ad :)
I presume you want to do EM as a career, so I would strongly recommend doing core rotations (IM, surgery, ob, FP, peds) first to set yourself up for success. As said, EM requires a solid foundation in those and many others (anesthesia, ENT, ortho, ophtho, radiology, psych, etc).

While having been a paramedic undoubtedly gave you great experience and familiarity, being in the ED requires a different knowledge base and mindset.

I know someone who did an elective at Cook County before their core but it was their last rotation of third year and they were done with every core rotation (IM, Surgery, etc).

Thanks for the info guys. I agree that EM requires a good foundation but I figured doing a rotation and having things going over my head was better than sitting around for a month doing nothing. Looks like I'll have to wait it out though.

Thanks for the info guys. I agree that EM requires a good foundation but I figured doing a rotation and having things going over my head was better than sitting around for a month doing nothing. Looks like I'll have to wait it out though.

So don't do nothing. Do something useful. Do radiology. Or ortho. Or derm. Or FM (and ask to do all outpatient, urgent care). Or...or...or....

I've been looking around for a medical school that allows *anything* besides EM with no cores and so far no luck...

Can't you do an elective at your own school? Many of those should be relatively lenient.

Finding aways is pretty rough without your cores/being a 4th year.

I've been looking around for a medical school that allows *anything* besides EM with no cores and so far no luck...

I meant at your own school, not an away. Sorry, should have clarified. You're not going to get an away (other than research) without your cores being done.