EM Employee vs IC Texas

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TexBoundEMDOC

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Employee: dallas, full benefits, partner status after 2 years (profit sharing) 130-150hrs. HCA contracts. Approx $200-220/hr

IC: san antonio, 120hrs non profit hospital. Approx $250/hr

San antonio has lower cost of living than Dallas. Which is great

Dallas give you leace of mind, but I've heard HCA is the devil, however, I've also heard the same of CMG's.

Any experience, good or bad, would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I think your missing the point.

Do you want to live in Dallas or San Antonio? They are rather difference places.

That's the most important question YOU need to answer.

Once you decide, avoid non competes. There are other options within reasonable driving distances if it doesn't work out...

The pay, etc in your post are rather equal. IC vs a group with buy in, etc etc has +/- described in other threads... Don't kid yourself, the COL is equal.

There is so much more that should go into this type of decision outside of the details you've laid out. Like rebuilder alluded to, where do you want to live and why? Non-compete clause? In addition to that, is your tail covered? (Better be.) What is the rate of partnership in Dallas? How many patients per hour are you seeing? Are you working 130 or 150 hours in Dallas? Big difference IMO. Nights, weekends, holidays split evenly or placed on the non-partners primarily? Admin responsibilities at each place? What's the group like at each place? Retention? And you mention hourly rates, but how are these calculated? In my experience in Texas there is usually a productivity based component. You need to know the ins and outs of where that "approximately $x/hr" comes from. Wary of the place who says "We have guys making 400+K first year as a non-partner", not knowing that figure is from the fastest, highest earning doc they've ever had, and then find yourself working 160+ hours a month including tons of nights, weekends, and holidays for $180 an hour. Finally any BS garbage in the contract? (Have an attorney who specializes in physician contracts evaluate it. I did. Well worth the $1K).

As for full disclosure I am an employee in Dallas, but did evaluate multiple jobs including IC jobs in Texas and elsewhere. Really the only way to make this decision is to sit down and 1. Figure out what pieces of information are important (i.e.: the stuff I laid out above was important to me), 2. Weigh them carefully between each job, 3. Have an attorney make sure the contract says what you think it says (I promise you aren't smart enough to do this... even though you think you are!), and 3. spend some time making the decision.

Overall Texas is a nice place to practice. Good luck.