EM fellowship after IM?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OFF

Former User
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I did a quick internet search and did not see anything, and figured I could get a quick answer here. Does an EM fellowship exist?

Members don't see this ad.

Nope, not for IM. There are combined residencies but not a fellowship.

OFF said:
I did a quick internet search and did not see anything, and figured I could get a quick answer here. Does an EM fellowship exist?

The only EM fellowships I know of are for Peds & Family Medicine.

Members don't see this ad :)
OFF said:

Yeah I think it would be hard because you don't do any kids in IM except maybe when you are on your EM month, and even then might be only seeing adults. But I wouldn't be astonished if there was something out there.

I mean, really kids are JUST little adults, right?

OFF said:
One exists for family medicine (at UT-Memphis), but it will not allow you to become board certified.

Board certification is only available to those who are residency trained in EM.

There are over 114 EM fellowships, ranging between 3-4 years in length.

NinerNiner999 said:
There are over 114 EM fellowships, ranging between 3-4 years in length.
Are you refering to a second residency as a fellowship? If you are, there are over 130 now.

NinerNiner999 said:
FINE - 136 then. Sheesh! :laugh:

Sometimes, when I'm not sure of the *exact* answer for any given question, I post my best guess or a near approximation.

Never fails that within 5, no wait, 5.26 minutes I always get the correct one thanks to SDN EM Board members! :laugh:

So...

LSU will win the Final Four

JackBauERfan said:
I mean, really kids are JUST little adults, right?

Well, just to be a contrarian...who is it that keeps insisting they're not just little adults?

Pediatricians, right?

What the hell do they know about adults? How would they know if they were just little versions of adults anyway?

Sorry, it had to be said. A target that big must be shot at.

Take care,
Jeff

Jeff698 said:
Well, just to be a contrarian...who is it that keeps insisting they're not just little adults?

Pediatricians, right?

What the hell do they know about adults? How would they know if they were just little versions of adults anyway?

Sorry, it had to be said. A target that big must be shot at.

Take care,
Jeff

Adults are just large children.

Apollyon said:
Adults are just large children.
children are just like pets.
adults are just like pets you wish you could shoot but can't

also re: fellowships from saem:
Accredited
Hyperbaric and Undersea Medicine
Pediatric Emergency Medicine
Sports Medicine