EM fellowship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

laptop

5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious.

How many of you like to do a fellowship after the residency in EM? How competitive is the fellowship, like pediatric, geriatric, toxicology, sprots medicine, ultrasound, Undersea and Hyperbaric Medicine, or ultrasound?

Members don't see this ad.

I may be wrong, but I suspect the competitiveness of fellowships is more of an issue of where you want to do it than what you want to do...

Fellowships are getting more competitive.

its why I made my own. ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
Just curious.

How many of you like to do a fellowship after the residency in EM? How competitive is the fellowship, like pediatric, geriatric, toxicology, sprots medicine, ultrasound, Undersea and Hyperbaric Medicine, or ultrasound?

This is kind of a difficult question to answer. Most EM residents do not do fellowships, so competition is variable. I can say that I had no difficulty securing a fellowship in Toxicology, however I was willing to be at a "less desirable" fellowship, since there were plenty of desirable features for me. If you must go the NYPCC or Rocky Mountain, then those are going to be more competative. Otherwise, there are many Toxicology programs out there and there are looking for good, qualified people.

One of my classmates had no difficulty getting a Sports Medicine fellowship, but I have no idea how difficult/easy it was for him. I can say that all of the people who graduated from my program in the last few years, who wanted fellowships, were able to secure them.

I think you will find that fellowships are getting more competitive as Academic jobs become more competitive. It doesn't mean, at this juncture, that you must do a fellowship to get an academic job. You definately shouldn't just 'check a box' to do it. Fellowship is HARD and you are significantly delaying your income by 1-2 years to do one. It should only be done if you really like what you are doing.

If you want to be in academics, and don't want to do a fellowship, though, you should work on a 'niche' area. Something that will seperate you from all the other EM people applying for academic positions. many of the same traits that are looked at for 'private' jobs are the same for academic positions, but you do need a little more: dedication to teaching, something to offer, research, or other things that show you will be adding something to an academic program.

HOpe that helps!

You should evaluate why you want to do a fellowship. Fellowships do not necessarily yeild greater monetary reward. In fact, you lose money most of the time sacraficing attending pay for fellow pay. In the end, you will likely still end up doing shifts in the ED. Do a fellowship only if you have a passion for it, otherwise, you are just wasting your time. For these reasons fellowships are genrerally not as competetive as IM fellowships. See EMRA section of choosing fellowships. Dr Carol Rivers has written in detail about this.

You should evaluate why you want to do a fellowship. Fellowships do not necessarily yeild greater monetary reward. In fact, you lose money most of the time sacraficing attending pay for fellow pay. In the end, you will likely still end up doing shifts in the ED. Do a fellowship only if you have a passion for it, otherwise, you are just wasting your time. For these reasons fellowships are genrerally not as competetive as IM fellowships. See EMRA section of choosing fellowships. Dr Carol Rivers has written in detail about this.

I believe that fellowship is negatively associated with income, that is you will end up making less money by doing a fellowship.

I believe that fellowship is negatively associated with income, that is you will end up making less money by doing a fellowship.

:confused:

Makes sense if you think about it. Those doing fellowship will likely go into academic EM, which traditionally pays less. Not to mention the delayed gratification.

Makes sense if you think about it. Those doing fellowship will likely go into academic EM, which traditionally pays less. Not to mention the delayed gratification.

That I get. What about the Directors of Toxicology for a county/state, or a EMS Director for a county? They usually are fellowship trained. I guess that was more what I had in mind.

That I get. What about the Directors of Toxicology for a county/state, or a EMS Director for a county? They usually are fellowship trained. I guess that was more what I had in mind.

If you work for the state or the county, you're almost always going to make less money. Even more so if you are not in direct patient-care situations. That is job-specific of course.

Yeah, and what about me? I will run a hyperbaric facility someday (fantasy of the week)! :)

the money question is really dependent on WHAT fellowship and WHERE you want to practice. In general, academics means less money (relative). However, this is not always true.

Depends on what you are doing and how you are doing it. You do delay your potential by the lenght of your fellowship. However, it can make you more competitive and open other doors that might not be open otherwise.

Yeah, and what about me? I will run a hyperbaric facility someday (fantasy of the week)! :)

Unless you actually plan on doing it on one of the USVI, BVI, or Aruba, I'll leave you to your wound care.

However, if you are opening in one of those places, I'll send you a CV.

Unless you actually plan on doing it on one of the USVI, BVI, or Aruba, I'll leave you to your wound care.

However, if you are opening in one of those places, I'll send you a CV.

How about Cozumel? ;)