EM fellowships?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medlaw06

Just Medicine
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all...

This is going to be a VERY dumb question, but:

what fellowships can 1 do in EM?

stupid qiestion by an MSIII.

Members don't see this ad.

thankx southerdoc....hopefully, you didn't laugh too hard when replying to my question!! :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, the SAEM website does have a good listing.

Actually, there are only 4 fellowships for which you can take a subspecialty exam approved by ABEM. These are:
Undersea and Hyperbaric Medicine
Medical Toxicology
Pediatric EM
Sports Medicine

All of the other fellowships can be hit or miss. The key is to find a high quality fellowhsip where you will have the opportunity to learn without being treated as slave labor. There are some very good fellowships out there and there are some poor ones.

Back when I was considering doing an EMS fellowship all the academic guys kept bugging me with "Why would you do that? You can't get certified in that. You should do Tox." "But I hate Tox." "Yeah but you can be cartified in it." So as far as academics are concerned it's better to do something you hate to be certified than do something you like if you can't.

Space Medicine?

What do you do with a fellowship in space medicine?

work for NASA :D

Halcyon said:
work for NASA :D

Is there really a route from a space medicine fellowship into NASA? Have you heard of someone doing that?

southerndoc said:
Space Medicine
There's a complete list of fellowships at www.saem.org.

I checked out that website and couldn't find anything to do with space. Is this one a bit of humor?

Space medicine = "Dammit Jim, I'm a doctor not a miracle worker!"

MoosePilot said:
Is there really a route from a space medicine fellowship into NASA? Have you heard of someone doing that?

Dr. Green on the show ER was going to do space medicine. Therefore it must be real. Yep, real.

E-

You don't necessarily have to take something that has ABEM certification.

EM ultrasound will probably never be ABEM certified (to do this, accourding to a former head of abem who lectured to us, there has to be enough material there to test that seperates it out from other specialties). Howeer, ABEM certification doesn't mandate academic jobs.

You can easily end up running being head of an EM ultrasound division with a fellowship.

And the certification is RDMS.

MoosePilot said:

Yes. Also you can be flight surgeons to the U2 crews.

MoosePilot said:
I checked out that website and couldn't find anything to do with space. Is this one a bit of humor?

No. I think that Wright Pat has a space medicine component.

MoosePilot said:
Space medicine is set up as a fellowship with NASA/UTMB, but it's actually another residency. A couple of EM residency trained individuals have secured fellowship positions there. It's two years, inclusive of an MPH.

Space medicine physicians don't really go into space. Your chances of getting selected to the Astronaut Candidate Program might be a little better, but the main duties of a space medicine physician is to conduct research, monitor health of astronauts during space flight, and to perform pre-flight and post-flight physicals.

Every flight includes a space medicine physician in the JSC control center. Every astronaut is connected to EKG leads and various other monitoring leads (O2 sat, etc.) during spacewalks. This is the time when the space medicine physicians have the most to do.

NASA offers electives for residents and medical students. If you're interested, you should look into it if your school/residency program allows away rotations. I'm planning on doing a residency away rotation there.

Southerndoc, thanks for the info. It will be a whole lot of years before I even need to worry about this stuff (if I even get that opportunity), but it definitely sounds interesting. Again, thanks!