EM Fellowships?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Khaos05

RN going MD
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This may be a dumb question, but are there any fellowships for EM docs? Trauma or something (not trauma surgery)?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
So if I wanted to do more trauma related stuff what would I need to do? Nothing or fellowship?

My state (AR) is about to build it's first level 1 trauma center and I think it would be fun to work there in the future.

EDIT: oops found the trauma/cc fellowships. Would those be necessary to work in the above?

if you care more about trauma than medicine, then you want trauma surgery, not emegency medicine. Honestly dude, stop worrying about something 10 years down the line at this point :)

If you're EM residency trained, then you're trained for handling trauma in the ED.

So what would you gain by doing the trama/cc fellowship instead of just going into practice after EM residency?

Also, does every EM residency require research? Yuck! When do EM residents have time for research?

So what would you gain by doing the trama/cc fellowship instead of just going into practice after EM residency?

In some hospitals, only the trauma team, run by trauma surgery, treats trauma patients. A trauma/critical care fellowship allows an Emergency Physician one opportunity to go beyond working in the ED. Many hospitals will allow those trained in critical care to manage patients in the ICU. Additionally, as ED boarding times increase, Critical Care trained EPs are starting to create new inroads into ED critical care...ICU level care delivered in the ED by EPs.

Also, does every EM residency require research? Yuck! When do EM residents have time for research?

Pretty much. Essentially all residencies, regardless of specialty, have to do some sort of scholarly work.