EM hopeful

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sharpstickie

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
OMS-1 here in Western US.
Most of what I've experienced so far (which obviously isn't much) has really influenced me to want to seek out a residency in EM, though I know that I need to keep my eyes open. One of the biggest things that I regret from undergrad is "checking off the boxes" and getting involved with clubs or activities that I only did because it would make my app better.
That being said, my only goals for med school would be good grades, decent boards, and have meaningful experiences along the way.
Is there anything in med school I can do that is essential to a decent EM residency (not that I even know what that means :eek:)? I plan on being a part of the EM club and an ultrasound interested group and don't really plan on doing research.

Members don't see this ad.

That's really about it. As a fellow DO student, you'll want to keep as many doors open as possible, meaning you should take both COMLEX and USMLE.
Do well on Step 1.
Do even better on Step 2.
Come 3rd year, you'll want to know when/how to apply for away/audition rotations. You should try to honor these and get those sweet, sweet SLOEs.

I'm only a second year, so I'm right in the thick of things with you. I've just had an extra year to obsess over the future haha.

Reactions: 1 users
Your grade on your EM rotation(s)
Your board scores
Whether you seem like someone they want to work with at the interviefw
Your letters of recommendation
Your 3rd and 4th year grades
Your 1st and 2nd year grades
Other crap

That's probably more or less right. Being a DO is a strike against you, but not one that cannot be overcome relatively easily. Probably down there with 1st and 2nd year grades.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think being a DO is necessarily a strike against you. At a few programs, yes, but they are becoming more few and far between. Just make sure you research programs before applying, if they haven't taken any DO's the past 3 years its unlikely you will be the first.

If you want to join the EM club, etc go ahead, but its not likely to help your application unless you take on a big role. Focus on getting good grades and board scores for now.

Thanks for the replies. Luckily I'm at a school that emphasizes the USMLE and has done relatively well in past years, though I know that the school can only do so much and most of it comes down to the individual effort.
Some quick questions:
What is a SLOE?
During third year I have a metric butt ton of required rotations but I'm sure I have 1 or 2 electives (still need to check this). Should I be sure to use these electives to get better exposure to EM before 4th year where I'd like to be spending my time doing audition rotations instead of being indecisive?

Thanks for the replies. Luckily I'm at a school that emphasizes the USMLE and has done relatively well in past years, though I know that the school can only do so much and most of it comes down to the individual effort.
Some quick questions:
What is a SLOE?
During third year I have a metric butt ton of required rotations but I'm sure I have 1 or 2 electives (still need to check this). Should I be sure to use these electives to get better exposure to EM before 4th year where I'd like to be spending my time doing audition rotations instead of being indecisive?

SLOE= standardized letter of evaluation; you ask for them from all the places at which you do an EM rotation.

If you can use your elective time in 3rd year to do your home EM rotation, do it then (if you have enough core rotation done before it, so that you don't look incompetent). You will want to do your home rotation before your aways.

should add SLOE's should only come from rotations at a residency program, if you do a month in a community ED with no residency you can ask for a letter, but not a SLOE. A month in a community ED is actually a great option for 3rd year, I did it to confirm that EM is what I wanted to do. You will get a lot of one on one time with attendings and have the opportunity to do things you might not get at a program with a ton of residents and other med students to compete with.

Reactions: 1 users
Totally agree Jlaw. 4th year EM rotations should all be at places with residencies, and hopefully at places you'd want to end up at. You'll want to get two SLOEs ideally from your fourth year rotations, both from places with residency programs.

Its not a bad idea in the 3rd year to do your very first EM rotation at a community place without residents. You don't have to do this, but it may confirm your interest, and also give you experience before going to a place to audition.

Reactions: 1 user
Totally agree Jlaw. 4th year EM rotations should all be at places with residencies, and hopefully at places you'd want to end up at. You'll want to get two SLOEs ideally from your fourth year rotations, both from places with residency programs.

Its not a bad idea in the 3rd year to do your very first EM rotation at a community place without residents. You don't have to do this, but it may confirm your interest, and also give you experience before going to a place to audition.
Thank you for the helpful comment!
I really like the idea of doing my first EM rotation at a place that doesn't have any residents. I would also like to see about getting some good shadowing done during the summer to try and make connections. If there's anything I've learned thus far, it's that networking is EVERYTHING. Well, unless I turn out to be an idiot haha