EM/IM Residency Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SexyEgptnDr

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I am interested in EM/IM and have been researching the few programs that exist. My question is...which programs are better? I have to start setting up some ER rotations and want to rotate at the better programs. Any input would be much appreciated!

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

SexyEgptnDr said:
Hello everyone!

I am interested in EM/IM and have been researching the few programs that exist. My question is...which programs are better? I have to start setting up some ER rotations and want to rotate at the better programs. Any input would be much appreciated!

Thank you!

All of the EM/IM programs enjoy very good reputations. You'll do well to be at any of them, especially if you're a sexy doctor.

Maryland, Christiana have well regarded EM programs. Henry Ford has an innovative acute care team (like a code team for the "not quite dead yet") and has Manny Rivers. I have an attending that trained at U of I and he's extremely well trained. I looked at the list again; all of them are very good... I don't know much about the NY programs.

mike

Mike-

Thank you for your response! I will look into the programs you mentioned- I've done a little research on the EM/IM program in Detroit at Henry Ford. Does anybody else have any input on SUNY Downstate or other NY programs?

-SexyEgyptnDr

Members don't see this ad :)
The EM/IM Program Director for HF is a graduate of the Christiana EM/IM program and was a Co-Chief resident with me...supper smart guy and great resident advocate, but again he trained with us at CCHS....(yes a shameless plug for CCHS). I know the EM/IM PD at SUNY DS, who is also a great guy, my knowldge of the program ends their though. If you have specific Q's about CCHS I'll have an EM/IM resident email you.

Paul

If you're interested in pursuing an EM/IM residency, there are only about ten options, and most of these options have two positions available per year.

SO your best bet will be to apply to all, or most, of the programs (depending on your geographical limitations) and decide for yourself which programs are stronger than the others.

I'm at Maryland, and am happy to answer questions about this program. And yes, I'm very happy here and think that we have a strong program. Any comparison that people make is based on old data... IE I applied 2.5 years ago, and interviewed 2.5 years ago, so my impressions of the other programs are based on 2 days of interviews years ago! You can therefore only rely on my opinion of my own program (since I obviously haven't trained at another program to compare!)

Good luck! And again, I'm happy to answer any questions you may have...

I'm at UIC in Chicago and I'm heading into my 4th year and I wouldn't change a thing. I'm glad I went into EM/IM, despite losing all of my classmates from straight EM and IM in the coming year.
I applied to 4 programs out of the 8 that were available at the time I applied. I based my decision based on the locale. I couldn't see myself living in some of the locations. I also couples matched so that also confounded the picture and reduced the number for me to see. My 2 favorites were Maryland and UIC, based on training background, the people I met and the location. It will be different for each and every person. Good luck and PM me if you have any questions. Hope to see you on the interview trail this year.

I did an ED elective at Univ of MD, and I tell you those EM/IM guys were the smartest mofos I'd ever met.

Q

About as competitive as an EM residency and about as competitive as an IM residency, I guess it depends if you're a glass full or glass empty kind of guy...