Em/im

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoctorDoogie4

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dear fellow SNDers,

Does anyonoe know or have information regarding what it takes to attain a combined EM/IM residency in terms of grades, boards, electives, etc.

Any advice would be greatful.

Doogie

Members don't see this ad.

I am not quite sure(i am waiting to match now(i hope)) but i had the impression during interviews that the average scores were higher then straight emergency medicine. However one of the big things a lot of programs look it is your reasons for doing em/im and how commited you are to it.

An IM friend of mine got into a conversation about IM/EM and were wondering what the answer to the following question was;

If you are in an EM program ANYWHERE in the country that's not an approved IM/EM program, can you apply for doing a combined IM/EM residency?

For example, if you were in your intern year of EM and decided you wanted to do IM also could you? I said no cause you would have to be in an approved IM/EM program such as SUNY downstate, ECU, Maryland etc etc. But, the question was, if you met the criteria from the american board of internal medicine about meeting the 30 week requirements and did the same for the board of EM, in theory you could complete an IM/EM residency anywhere....

Any opinions?

MS05' said:
An IM friend of mine got into a conversation about IM/EM and were wondering what the answer to the following question was;

If you are in an EM program ANYWHERE in the country that's not an approved IM/EM program, can you apply for doing a combined IM/EM residency?

For example, if you were in your intern year of EM and decided you wanted to do IM also could you? I said no cause you would have to be in an approved IM/EM program such as SUNY downstate, ECU, Maryland etc etc. But, the question was, if you met the criteria from the american board of internal medicine about meeting the 30 week requirements and did the same for the board of EM, in theory you could complete an IM/EM residency anywhere....

Any opinions?

If you were an intern in EM, and discussed this with the program directors of both EM and IM, and then structured the remaining 2 years to take electives that would count for IM electives, IM would probably take 6 months off a residency for you. So when you graduated from your EM residency, you'd only have to do 2.5 years of IM.

But, you'd have to find funding somewhere, because you would have used up all of your GME funds spending your 3 years in EM. The last 2.5 years would have to be paid for from another department (ie IM).

KG