EM Nocturnists?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TrailRun

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is your schedule like? I saw this interview (on SDN) with an EM doc who says she does 18-24 hours/week and that counts as full time since they're nights? Since she says she does either 9 or 12 hour shifts, is that just 2 nights/week?

20 Questions: Lindsay Stokes, Emergency Medicine - Student Doctor Network

"I work a combination of 9 and 12 hour shifts, and right now I work anywhere from 18-24 hours a week. I am able to do this and make a full salary because I work all night shifts, and my hospital has a large differential for night hours."

Members don't see this ad.

Our nocturnists at my residency site do 10-14 nine hour nights a month in any block format they want as they get first dibs on the schedule in addition to a decent differential.

Will be doing 130-140 hours/mo in ten hour shifts at my future attending gig with about 20-30 hours of that as nights.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have several partners who work all nights. For most of them that means about 3/4 of their shifts are 10p-6a and 1/4 of them are 6p-2a. One works 16, one works 15, two work 12 of them. Some like to block them (like 6-7 in a row) while others prefer only 3-4 in a row. Those blocks are spread out throughout the month.

I've never worked more than half nights, but that was when I was in a single coverage shop with a 7-7 and a 7-7 shift. That sucked. Oh, except when I was deployed to the middle east. I did all nights there, but it was fine. I just stayed on nights all the time and on my off days worked out from 2-4 am. That was when my family was awake in the states anyway.

Hope that helps.

Reactions: 1 users
We have enough people wanting to work nocturnist that we don't need to give much incentive at all, which feels weird but I aint complaining

They work the same number of shifts as the rest of us to qualify for full time, (12 9 hour shifts). No higher priority in requesting their schedule and only 100 bucks a shift bonus on top of the usual RVU based salary.

Works great for the rest of us, I typically work a true over-night shift once every couple months.

Thanks for the replies. It seems the doc in the interview lucked out in finding a job with just 8 nights/month and sounds like that can be rare depending on the differential.

I work 12 12s. All nights. Scheduling priority and not having to flip day/night is amazing.

It's also nice not having all the admins, joint commission, and other people floating around at night.