EM Program Director - Ask Me Anything

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
You are very welcome.

I will confirm, but I know Loyola has some restrictions around this, and likely J1 is the only one that our GME will approve. As a new program, I imagine I will be in a tighter position to work with visa applications, but this is not set in stone...

Confirmed - J1 - ECFMG-sponsored only...

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
This is interesting. I am a reapplicant and won't have enough IRP years to cover a 3 year EM residency. I'm curious as to why Loyola has this policy. My understanding is that as a new program at an institution already with other residency programs, you are by definition "over capped" for all of your slots. That is, CMS won't grant funding for your residents. If I understand correctly, since your institution already has a CMS cap, you aren't even eligible for the 5 years of "cap building." If this is in fact the case, why does it matter if an applicant has full funding as per the IRP to cover his or her training? Is there something I am missing? (Your program is not the first one to have this policy even when they are overcapped, I'm truly trying to understand what the advantage of this policy is!)

I do feel for you in regards to this, for what it is worth. These things are determined at the GME level, and despite being over cap, we are still bound by the rules of our GME. Our GME is very involved in the planning and preparation, and I really do welcome this as there is a lot of experience that will be tremendously helpful to the residents.

I understand though that this does not help you. Ultimately, this is something that is out of my hands. I really do wish you the best as you move through this process...

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello! I am very excited to hear that Loyola's EM program is here and congrats on starting interviews tomorrow! For those of us interested in your program and have yet to receive an invite, would you consider it too early to send a letter of interest? Are all your interview dates filled? Especially being a local applicant, I'd love to jump at the opportunity to learn more about the program.

Is it to late to apply? I just saw this now...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is it to late to apply? I just saw this now...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All the spots are full on ERAS with most of the wait-list being full as well so I'd say yes.