EM related research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CCmetal94

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm an incoming DO student interested in EM. What type of research is trypical of a competitive EM applicants and what are the best ways to seek out these opportunities?

FYI I'll be attending a DO school in a major metropolitan area with two other MD schools and research institutions minutes away.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm an incoming DO student interested in EM. What type of research is trypical of a competitive EM applicants and what are the best ways to seek out these opportunities?

FYI I'll be attending a DO school in a major metropolitan area with two other MD schools and research institutions minutes away.

Find a good mentor. At this stage of the game, that is probably more important than anything else. There is a wide variety of research in EM, but what is locally available to you will depend on who you can work with.

Members don't see this ad :)
"none"

Seriously, it's not a heavily research oriented field. There are some powerhouses out there, but the rest just aren't. Most people aren't doing research, although the arms race may make it that way. I agree with finding a mentor if this is what you want to do, but getting good grades and STEP scores will weigh much more heavily than a couple papers in the Turkish Journal of EM.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm in the same boat. I'm a bit worried about the merger though and the increasing competitiveness of residencies in general. It really does seem like everyone else has research except me..

I'm in the same boat. I'm a bit worried about the merger though and the increasing competitiveness of residencies in general. It really does seem like everyone else has research except me..

Honestly, I wouldn't worry about it. I think the best thing it does for you is give us something to talk to you about during interviews. IMHO, I think that this is the most important part of research (and hobbies and ECs) - it gives us something to talk about and make us interested in meeting you all.

We have a few PhD/MDs residents and none of them do research that I thought was all that interesting but I do admire their work ethic and so that is when research is clearly a positive, but still not worth it alone.

You should do it because you are genuinely interested in the questions you're asking or the area you're researching because that interest and passion is far more valuable come interview time (again, opinion of one resident).