EM Research for EM Residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

airplaneboy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone-

I am going to start med school in the Fall and I was wondering how important is EM Research when it comes to landing a good EM residency. How about extracurriculars? Do some people get into good EM residencies with just impressive grades and board scores?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I think the more a person has on their CV, obviously, the better they will be perceived as an applicant.

BUT! I do not think you need research, top board scores, or top in your class to match into a good residency.

At your stage in the game, keep your mind open, do well in school, make some friends, and every month or so, spend a couple of hours in the ED, see if its for you. Just do the best you can in school (dont' neglect things while you are studying), take some time off, do well on boards, and then re-evaluate your situation in two years. Still apply to EM even if your board scores aren't stellar or you're below average in school. People still match.

Q