EM research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Perrotfish

Has an MD in Horribleness
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Alright, so I'm interested in EM, and would like to do research in Emergency Medicine so that my CV is not completely bare. My question is, how do you do research in Emergency Medicine? Did anyone here that had reserach actully do studies with their EM departement, or did you pretty much go to IM/Peds/Psych? I ask because I have never seen EM research done, and my school doesn't even really have an EM department (just an ED we rotate through). Are there any websites where I can find research projects/studies for EM? I'm in Louisiana, if anyone has any ideas.

Members don't see this ad.

I jumped in on a project looking at the success rates of the new SALT airways. It was being ran by the EM dept. with the help of Gas. Not really sure how this helps you other than to say, yeah there is definitely EM research out there.

Research doesn't necessarily have to be in Emergency Medicine. You should pick something that sounds interesting to you. That being said, there are lots of fields of study that have an impact on EM such as injury prevention, pain control, resuscitation, infectious disease...the list goes on. It seems most residencies are requiring a scholarly project, so the fact you have done any research, as opposed to none, makes you a better candidate.

"So make the bad horse gleeful, or he'll make you his mare"

Members don't see this ad :)
Any EM program is going to have people doing research. Discuss with them if there is a part of their project you can work on (either as an elective or in-between 1st and 2nd year). Place line on CV under Research. That is all.

Alright, so I'm interested in EM, and would like to do research in Emergency Medicine so that my CV is not completely bare. My question is, how do you do research in Emergency Medicine? Did anyone here that had reserach actully do studies with their EM departement, or did you pretty much go to IM/Peds/Psych? I ask because I have never seen EM research done, and my school doesn't even really have an EM department (just an ED we rotate through). Are there any websites where I can find research projects/studies for EM? I'm in Louisiana, if anyone has any ideas.

There is a ton of research in EM.

I suggest browsing through Annals of EM to look at the topics covered. Looking at the table of contents for a few issues will give you an idea of the breadth of the field.

I was involved in several research projects during medical school (none of them through EM though), but the one that people really wanted to talk about and seemed interested in during interviews was about measuring stress levels. Apparently several of the interviewers had a similar research interest. Go figure.

Your research project does not have to be with a lab run by people from your field to be useful to you. For example, suppose you wanted to be a neurosurgeon. Doing research with a PI from any field who is doing work on cell cycle regulation would help, since cancer is a big topic everywhere.

In terms of looking for EM themed research:

Basic scienece/bench stuff: a toxicology lab would probably be the best bet if you are looking for a bench project. Look for research surgery or anesthesia departments may be doing on airways. Failing that, check out labs working on things related to cardiac ischemia, strokes, neuro trauma, etc. Although these may not be EP run labs, these are topics that might potentially be relevant to EM.

Clinical: lots of opportunities there, especially if you can find a place with a good EMR. Ideally you'd have someone that has started work on a great project that you could join, but even if you have no support you can probably come up with a simple idea and pull it off.