EM Residency at Drew

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

La Fiera

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know why Drew never fills their EM residency spots? Or why its not that poopular? I thought that their EM Residency program was the best program that they had. I would also think that becasue of the area its in, you would learn a hell of a lot working there.

Members don't see this ad.

I can only tell you my impressions from interviewing there... it is a very scary area of the country -- felt rather uncomfortable once off the freeway (worse than Detroit). The facilities there are cramped -- patient beds are smooshed together so that when you're talking to one patient you're 2 feet from the next. Also, the trauma center is separate from the main ED -- you only get trauma experience when on the trauma service. Plus, it seems that when you're on trauma your main responsibility is still just the airway. Last, the off service rotations are, per the residents I talked to, quite low yield. However, you probably do get a lot of autonomy and you will likely see all kinds of cool pathology. The program does have this cool setup of connected resident apts with assoc. gym. Anyhow, I think location / funds / off-service rotations are the detractors.

persistent rumors of their residency program closing could have something to do with it as well...

Members don't see this ad :)
Did you ever see Training Day? Possibly much like Drew residency. Drawing your own blood tests, carjackings on the way to work, and grads unwanted by certain neighboring hospitals.

Originally posted by mojo
Did you ever see Training Day? Possibly much like Drew residency. Drawing your own blood tests, carjackings on the way to work, and grads unwanted by certain neighboring hospitals.

Is the training subpar? Why would certain neighboring hospitals not want Drew EM docs?

I don't know if it's subpar. It's just what the director said when I interviewed at a nearby facility.