EM residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

venez

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
what are the average EM residency hours?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Depends on the month. If you are in the ICU or Trauma or whatever, your hours will be higher. In the ED, most EM residencies aren't even close to the 80 hour work week.

Q

The RRC rules state that when you are in the ED 65 hours is the limit and that includes 5 hours of lecture. so 60 clinical hours per week. most residencies dont get too close to that.

It should be noted that avg hours worked per week as a resident should not be in the top 5 reasons to choose a particular field...

It should be noted that avg hours worked per week as a resident should not be in the top 5 reasons to choose a particular field...

Well, at least top 6 then.

I think the thrust of what these (more experienced, been-there-and-we-haven't-yet) peeps are trying to say is, if you're truly torn between two things that are as dissimilar as Gen Surg and EM, then you have a LOT of decisionmaking left. Sure, consider the hours, but if that's going to be the tie-breaker, your list of pros and cons is wayyy too short.

Put another way, the Gen Surg people I know would happily work another 10 hours a week rather than do EM... and my EM resident buddies would rather self-catheterize with a hemp rope then work Surgery the rest of their lives.

The RRC rules state that when you are in the ED 65 hours is the limit and that includes 5 hours of lecture. so 60 clinical hours per week. most residencies dont get too close to that.

Actually 72 hours total limit, 60 clinical. From the specialty requirements:

Duty hours are defined as all clinical and academic activities related
to the residency program, i.e., patient care (both inpatient and
outpatient), administrative duties related to patient care, the provision
for transfer of patient care, time spent in-house during call activities,
and scheduled academic activities such as conferences. Duty hours do
not include reading and preparation time spent away from the duty
site.​
2. Emergency medicine rotations
a) As a minimum, residents shall be allowed an average of 1 full day
in 7 days away from the institution and free of any clinical or
academic responsibilities, including planned educational
experiences.
b) While on duty in the emergency department, residents may not
work longer than 12 continuous scheduled hours. There must be at
least an equivalent period of continuous time off between
scheduled work periods.
c) A resident should not work more than 60 scheduled hours per
week seeing patients in the emergency department and no more
than 72 duty hours per week. Duty hours comprise all clinical duty
time and conferences, whether spent within or outside the
educational program, including all on-call hours.
Non-Emergency Department Rotations
a) For rotations on other services
, duty hours must be limited to 80
hours per week, averaged over a four-week period, inclusive of
all in-house call activities.
b) Residents must be provided with 1 day in 7 free from all
educational and clinical responsibilities, averaged over a 4-
week period, inclusive of call. One day is defined as one
continuous 24-hour period free from all clinical, educational,
and administrative activities.
c) Adequate time for rest and personal activities must be
provided. This should consist of a 10 hour time period
provided between all daily duty periods and after in-house call.

Put another way, the Gen Surg people I know would happily work another 10 hours a week rather than do EM...

:laugh: If only the difference was that small

there's nothing wrong with that as one of 5 things to consider - especially if torn between something like gen surg and EM

I suppose not, but I would think that the decision between whether or not to spend your career in the OR or the ED should be made based on factors other than your hours and a resident!

As an attending, heck yes.

I suppose not, but I would think that the decision between whether or not to spend your career in the OR or the ED should be made based on factors other than your hours and a resident!

As an attending, heck yes.

I many fields (not all) resident hours mirror attending hours.

:laugh: If only the difference was that small
Of course the actual difference is more -- but I wouldn't presume to know exactly how much more, and anyway I'm not talking about people who are completely insane (I mean, yes, they're surgeons, but not completely insane). :D

They might not work an extra, say, 30 a week to stay in Gen Surg and out of EM, but I bet they'd do 10. Sometimes I don't flesh out my points all that well, and skip to the end. I didn't mean in any way to imply that the difference was a measly 10 hours a week. Cool?

Of course the actual difference is more -- but I wouldn't presume to know exactly how much more, and anyway I'm not talking about people who are completely insane (I mean, yes, they're surgeons, but not completely insane). :D

They might not work an extra, say, 30 a week to stay in Gen Surg and out of EM, but I bet they'd do 10. Sometimes I don't flesh out my points all that well, and skip to the end. I didn't mean in any way to imply that the difference was a measly 10 hours a week. Cool?

:thumbup: