EM residents, how many patient's do you see a shift?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
1.5pt/hour as pgy3
1.9 pt/hour on 1st community job 1.6-2.1 I think was chang between season and offseason)
2.5-3 pt/hour during season and 2.2-2.3 pt per hour average off season where I'm at now. Community. No change in how busy I feel between the 3. All systems had different efficiencies and deficiencies

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I suppose that's true. My shop has a TON of urgent care type stuff, we have no fast track. We still get the bad trauma's and the super sick people too just like any ED, but there is always the quick ones to do as well, so that brings my total patient numbers up a bit.

No fast track? You estimated that only 2-3% of patients you see are critical. How do you think your PPH would change if it were, say, 10% critical? You too would see your PPH plummet and it would have nothing to do with laziness.

No fast track? You estimated that only 2-3% of patients you see are critical. How do you think your PPH would change if it were, say, 10% critical? You too would see your PPH plummet and it would have nothing to do with laziness.

Thank you for repeating everything i just said

Members don't see this ad :)
I see about 25-30 patients per day. In France we are on duty during 24 hours!

Sounds a little nice. I think it would be easy to see that in 9-12 hours in the states.
I'd much prefer to see 20 in 12 hours than 30 in 24 hrs. That sounds miserable.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
In fact in my hospital we have about 150 patients per day. We are 3 physicians, 3 résidents.