EM Rotation Resources

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Zeppelin1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
These three resources really helped me out during my EM rotations, especially during my aways. They can help you look polished or give you a lifeline if you have no idea where to start with a patient. Also, a quick glance at the pocket references can often help you go straight from the patient to the resident/attending to present, rather than making a stop at a computer to look something up (if you're trying to shine).

The first is a medium size review book. It's a solid reference, and depending on your familiarity with EM I would recommend reading it cover to cover before a rotation. The next two are pocket size books. An antibiotics guide and a clinical problem solving guide. I kept these in the back pocket of my scrubs for my rotations and there were countless times when they really helped me during shifts. e.g ("I want to start xyz antibiotics to cover for xyz pathogens", rather than "I want to start antibiotics." Or, "Here is my comprehensive work up and differential of a red eye" rather than "Yeah that guy's eye is really red, I'm going to grab a computer and look it up really quick.")

Emergency Medicine Secrets, 5th Edition

EMRA Top Clinical Problems

EMRA Antibiotics Guide

The 2nd two you may get free for joining EMRA, which I recommend doing. I know different resources work for different people, but these were great for me.

Members don't see this ad.