EM rotations without vsas

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

buffpenguin

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
As a US graduate that didn't match into EM, I want to get one more rotation under my belt. Problem is I can't now due to graduating medical school and not having access to VSAS. Are there any schools that do not use VSAS and would allow someone like me to rotate at them?

Members don't see this ad.

As a US graduate that didn't match into EM, I want to get one more rotation under my belt. Problem is I can't now due to graduating medical school and not having access to VSAS. Are there any schools that do not use VSAS and would allow someone like me to rotate at them?
Once you're not a student, you can't do any "rotations". You can do "externships" and "observerships", both of which are essentially useless. This is not unique to EM.

Once you're not a student, you can't do any "rotations". You can do "externships" and "observerships", both of which are essentially useless. This is not unique to EM.

So after medical school there's no chance whatsoever to get a Sloe. Even if I find a school that might not have switched its system to vsas

Members don't see this ad :)
So after medical school there's no chance whatsoever to get a Sloe. Even if I find a school that might not have switched its system to vsas

But after medical school you won't be a medical student...

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

it has nothing to do with vsas. you cant rotate. get a job as a tech at a rural community EM residency and hope that'll get you an interview. oh, btw that plan only works if you dont suck at your job

it has nothing to do with vsas. you cant rotate. get a job as a tech at a rural community EM residency and hope that'll get you an interview. oh, btw that plan only works if you dont suck at your job

Ah yes, the ol' EM tech to EM resident track.

In all seriousness, I would probably prioritize getting into some sort of intership, because that makes other career options more possible. Honestly, my priority would be extending myself into a 5th year student if it's an option, based on our school's talks that's a better shot at residency.

I know you want EM but did you pick up any kind of residency spot for 7/1? If you did you can try and arrange to do an away rotation as a resident and get a SLOE that way. I rotated in an EM department with a residency as a prelim PGY-1 and got a SLOE which helped me get my current EM spot. I did not have to use VSAS, my prelim PD arranged it for me with the PD at the other institution. Worth a shot.

If you didn't get a spot in the main match keep looking. Off cycle spots open up all the time as people get visas denied/have family issues/change mind on specialty/are found to have undisclosed felonies..... Any job in any specialty will improve your chances at reapplication more than a year off. Good luck!

Hi. Yes it is definitely very possible. You will have to make some cold calls and likely present your CV. Some programs may allow a shadowing and some may allow you to do 4-6 week rotation so you can get a SLOE. There are also programs that may allow you to do 2 weeks one month and 2 weeks the next month so you can get your SLOE on time. They do this so your rotation does not fall at the same time the medical students do theirs. Make sure you start cold calling now because if you actually do a rotation where you are expected to work then they will need to coordinate your license for that particular state. Again it will depend on the program. Cold calls are a hassle but we'll worth if you can garner at least one rotation.