EM schedule

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MelMcT2009

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are your schedules generally like as attendings? Are you able to group shifts where you work 5-6 days in a row and take 5-6 days off in a row, or is it random as it is in residency?

Members don't see this ad.

One of my past jobs, we would be blocked for 5 12s in a row for the holidays - either Thanksgiving, or, alternate years, Christmas/New Year's. One of my colleagues said, "by the 5th shift, I didn't care if the patients lived or died".

Sure, you can, but you wouldn't be working that much, that getting 5 days in a row off every month would be uncommon or unobtainable. You don't have to work 5 or 6 in a row to get those 5 days off, every month.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
No more than 2 nights per month and no more than 2 weekend shifts per month. Nights are grouped, and it’s usually a whole weekend when weekend shifts are scheduled. Rarely more than 3 shifts in a row. Otherwise, it is pretty random.

I’m in an academic setting, and we do have some nocturnists.

No more than 2 nights per month and no more than 2 weekend shifts per month. Nights are grouped, and it’s usually a whole weekend when weekend shifts are scheduled. Rarely more than 3 shifts in a row. Otherwise, it is pretty random.

I’m in an academic setting, and we do have some nocturnists.

That's a super solid setup, especially the 1 weekend/mo. You guys have longer weekend shifts or is the volume really that much lower? Or some docs mostly work weekends?

That's a super solid setup, especially the 1 weekend/mo. You guys have longer weekend shifts or is the volume really that much lower? Or some docs mostly work weekends?

2 of the 3 sites do 12s on the weekend instead of 8s. The other stays with 8s on the weekend except for one pod, which is 12.

Reactions: 1 user
What are your schedules generally like as attendings? Are you able to group shifts where you work 5-6 days in a row and take 5-6 days off in a row, or is it random as it is in residency?

It's going to be highly dependent on where you work. Places with better staffing are obviously going to allow for better schedules. The more docs you have, especially if some prefer to work nights, the better everyones schedule is to prevent bouncing around.

If you want to work 5-6 straight night or swing shift, most groups would bend over backwards to accommodate whatever you like.

We had two nocturnist who we did not even pay a stipend to. They could pretty much do whatever they want and no one would care.

Piss off patients, come in late, miss meetings. No one cared b/c they did all the nights.

Reactions: 3 users