1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

EM & Shock Trauma

Discussion in 'Emergency Medicine' started by stebb, Jul 21, 2006.

1. stebb

stebb Junior Member
    2+ Year Member

Hello...

i understand that there is one can complete an EM residency then pursue the trauma/critical care fellowship at Shock Trauma in Maryland...but to be honest i'm not sure what this fellowship entails. What kind of role would the EM physician have as opposed to a surgeon who pursues this fellowship. Would one be able to be SICU attending?

Anyone complete this program or hear anything about it?

thanks

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. bcrosspac

bcrosspac SDN Angel
    7+ Year Member

One of our attendings here did just that. You can email him at [email protected]. He is one of our best attendings and is great with critical patients. His name is Tim McGlaughlin, DO.

4. stebb

stebb Junior Member
    2+ Year Member

Hey thanks a lot!!! I will do that.

5. beyond all hope

beyond all hope Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

You must do at least two years of CC training to be able to sit for the European boards. EM docs can't get US board certified in critical care due to political issues.

You could be a ICU doc after the fellowship. Obviously you wouldn't be operating but you could do everything else a SICU surgeon could, and probably more (read an EKG, etc). Lots of SICU care is nonoperative now anyway.

I know someone who did a CC year at shock trauma and now works 75% time in the ED and 25% time in the ICU -> Not just the SICU but also the MICU, in a major academic center. Some hospitals won't hire any EM CC docs.

EM critical care is a hot issue. Search Scutwork and you'll find a number of posts.

6. ESU_MD

ESU_MD Old School
    15+ Year Member

Attending Physician

7. southerndoc

southerndoc life is good
    Physician Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Definitely D. We are dispo kings. A, B, and C seems to be ED attending dependent. :rolleyes:

8. mikecwru

mikecwru M.D. = Massive Debt
    7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I think the first comment was silly. Obviously, it takes more than a year learn to ask what the white count is and say "I'm not impressed," with a straight face.

mike

9. roja

7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    ESU_med-

EM training allows you to adress many nonsurgical issues. Knowing each fields limitations is key. Even when I did trauma with some of the best trauma surgeons I have met, they weren't outstanding at picking out more subtle ekg findings. I also watched them flounder when a (mistakenly) brought in patient really had meningitis (AMS, ffever of 106.5 axillary adn HR of 160)... they gave cardizem until I stopped them and were going to stop at treatment with 2 g of Ceftriaxone (despite his age and homelessness).

Just as I floundered when I was presented with an open belly in the OR....

Regarding CC fellowship and boards: I think you only have to do one year of CC fellowship to sit for the boards (many ICU fellowships are one year. The extra year for trauma is a different story.). If you want to work in an MICU you can do one year of fellowshipa nd sit for the european boards.

10. MedWiz

MedWiz Member
    7+ Year Member

Sorry, that's not entirely correct-if you want to sit the European Boards, you'll have to have 2 yrs under your belt: