Email response from a program, What's gives?!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pej933

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I received an invitation to interview at a Transitional year program. They gave me a list of six dates and I were to choose a few to list as my most favorite. I chose those dates, ranked them, send the list. Now, received an email about a date that is not favorable to me. I sent an email indicating that it would be highly appreciated if I could get another date. I was very polite in my email.

The response I got was pretty much this: "We cannot accomodate you for another date; should you choose to decline, please let us know."

Now, maybe I'm new to this, but, isn't this kind of rude. To tell someone basically, that, if you don't like it, get lost. This is Bull****. Anyone else have the same experience. I'm not going to say which program, so don't ask, please.

Members don't see this ad.

pej933 said:
I received an invitation to interview at a Transitional year program. They gave me a list of six dates and I were to choose a few to list as my most favorite. I chose those dates, ranked them, send the list. Now, received an email about a date that is not favorable to me. I sent an email indicating that it would be highly appreciated if I could get another date. I was very polite in my email.

The response I got was pretty much this: "We cannot accomodate you for another date; should you choose to decline, please let us know."

Now, maybe I'm new to this, but, isn't this kind of rude. To tell someone basically, that, if you don't like it, get lost. This is Bull****. Anyone else have the same experience. I'm not going to say which program, so don't ask, please.

does sound rude. hopefully they were having a bad day. call them with your most friendly voice and see how that goes. i've had to change a couple dates and peeps have been generally nice.

I already spoke to her prior to sending off the email. Even on the phone, she was rather short. I guess it's the nature of the beast (pun intended). I responded today with a polite email saying that at least she should consider me in case that date has an opening. What a bunch of BS is this whole interview process :mad:

Members don't see this ad :)
pej933 said:
I already spoke to her prior to sending off the email. Even on the phone, she was rather short. I guess it's the nature of the beast (pun intended). I responded today with a polite email saying that at least she should consider me in case that date has an opening. What a bunch of BS is this whole interview process :mad:

Could be indicitive of the type of program it is. May be a red flag, and your transitional year may be happier at another institution. Of course, it is just the secretary talking. If it were me, I would copy the email to the department chair and ask if there is any lattitude to reschedule. What do you have to loose? It is a rude email.

personally i think everyone is overreacting a bit. transitional year programs are highly sought after by qualified applicants, and interview dates are finite. by the time you emailed back your preferred dates were taken. i called a program hours after receiving an email only to find that others had beaten me. one program (for gas) sent me a second email BEFORE i could even reply to the first saying they had to open later dates because the first set had filled so quickly. i thought her response to you ("We cannot accomodate you for another date; should you choose to decline, please let us know.") was succinct, sincere, and professional. i think you are reading the "get lost" subtext because it was a reply with which you weren't particularly happy.

just my opinion after working outside of medicine and having a lot of career interview experience. don't hit me ;)

Trisomy13 said:
personally i think everyone is overreacting a bit. transitional year programs are highly sought after by qualified applicants, and interview dates are finite. by the time you emailed back your preferred dates were taken. i called a program hours after receiving an email only to find that others had beaten me. one program (for gas) sent me a second email BEFORE i could even reply to the first saying they had to open later dates because the first set had filled so quickly. i thought her response to you ("We cannot accomodate you for another date; should you choose to decline, please let us know.") was succinct, sincere, and professional. i think you are reading the "get lost" subtext because it was a reply with which you weren't particularly happy.

just my opinion after working outside of medicine and having a lot of career interview experience. don't hit me ;)

I think anyone on the phone who isn't nice is defenitely a red flag. People often take on qualities of the environment around them. It aint no litmus test, just a red flag.

I spoke with a anes secretary recently to reschedule... I was polite, courteous, apologetic, but she blew up in my face... I know it's not me b/c I've had to reschedule a bunch of other programs and they were all very understanding. I've had other run-ins with this particular program in NYC in the past when I interviewed for medical school. As soon as I entered the door of the medical school 4 years ago, the security guard was rude, had the worst interviewer ever with a very heavy accent, who also blew up in my face after I repeatedly asked "I'm sorry, could you say that again." Now this secretary. I just got a feeling that there's something seriously wrong with this particular program to have people that work there be so horrendously rude... Please don't say all NYC programs are like that, b/c it's not true. I only have problem with this single particular school/program/hospital.