Emailing Etiquette

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IgM

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Alright question guys -
Sometime in September, I got word from a program that they do not review candidates until they are complete/all their letters are in. So in early October (almost 3 weeks ago) I emailed them to say hey, just so you know, I'm complete now so give me some love. I got an email back from them saying that the reviewers have my file and they'll let me know when they get a decision. So that was 3 weeks ago. Three long weeks.

Now I assume it's fair to guess that I'm not their most valued applicant. But I'm wondering if it's a good idea to send them some other communication at some point just to let them know I really am interested. My first note didn't do too much of that (I wasn't that worried yet and it seemed overkill in early October) and now I feel like it might have been a wasted opportunity.

Any advice on this situation? Their interview is one of two that I am still waiting on (couple other reach schools I assume I won't get) and it could very much be my #1. Does it look needy to email them again so soon? Is it so soon? And what would this email say, since I already know they are reviewing my file?

Sorry guys, this program is just like the last thorn in my side. I'm dying to know. I'd be really grateful for anybody's input.

Members don't see this ad.

A short, concise, polite email stating something like, "Hi, I just wanted to reaffirm my very strong interest in your program. If given the opportunity to interview I will accept enthusiastically as I see this program as potentially being my very top choice. Please let me know if there is anything I can do to further help you evaluate my application. Thank you!"

something like that can never hurt. Also, phone calls later in the game can also help.

Alright question guys -
Sometime in September, I got word from a program that they do not review candidates until they are complete/all their letters are in. So in early October (almost 3 weeks ago) I emailed them to say hey, just so you know, I'm complete now so give me some love. I got an email back from them saying that the reviewers have my file and they'll let me know when they get a decision. So that was 3 weeks ago. Three long weeks.

Now I assume it's fair to guess that I'm not their most valued applicant. But I'm wondering if it's a good idea to send them some other communication at some point just to let them know I really am interested. My first note didn't do too much of that (I wasn't that worried yet and it seemed overkill in early October) and now I feel like it might have been a wasted opportunity.

Any advice on this situation? Their interview is one of two that I am still waiting on (couple other reach schools I assume I won't get) and it could very much be my #1. Does it look needy to email them again so soon? Is it so soon? And what would this email say, since I already know they are reviewing my file?

Sorry guys, this program is just like the last thorn in my side. I'm dying to know. I'd be really grateful for anybody's input.

A short, concise, polite email stating something like, "Hi, I just wanted to reaffirm my very strong interest in your program. If given the opportunity to interview I will accept enthusiastically as I see this program as potentially being my very top choice. Please let me know if there is anything I can do to further help you evaluate my application. Thank you!"

something like that can never hurt. Also, phone calls later in the game can also help.

Agree w/ above.

If it's that much of a reach, you have nothing to lose.