Emailing interviewer post interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Snek1234

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Did anyone email their interviewer afterwards to thank them for their time?

Members don't see this ad.

I interviewed at 5 programs and sent an email thank you to one of my interviewers (who gave me their card and offered to answer any questions I had over email). The others I didn't have contact info for, or it was short (15 min) or panel interviews where I didn't feel like I had enough of an interaction with the individual person to warrant a thank you email.

It probably won't hurt or help you if you send one. Just make it polite and professional if you do. I like to include something specific to the conversation. For example, my interviewer expressed interest in book recommendations, so I gave her a suggestion of a book I had recently read and enjoyed along with the thank you.

Reactions: 1 user
I did! My interviewer gave me her business card after and I sent her an email about 2 days after thanking her for her time, saying it was great meeting her and mentioned some things we had talked about during our interview/something we had in common so she would hopefully remember me better lol. I'm not sure if that made a difference or not but I ended up getting waitlisted at that school. I agree though, as long as you make the email sound respectful and professional I don't think it would hurt you.

Members don't see this ad :)
I sent each one of my interviewers a small blank hand written thank you card along with a couple lines of text, in today's day and age with emails a hand written note is a lost appreciation and art.