Emailing interviewer post interview

Started by Snek1234
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

I interviewed at 5 programs and sent an email thank you to one of my interviewers (who gave me their card and offered to answer any questions I had over email). The others I didn't have contact info for, or it was short (15 min) or panel interviews where I didn't feel like I had enough of an interaction with the individual person to warrant a thank you email.

It probably won't hurt or help you if you send one. Just make it polite and professional if you do. I like to include something specific to the conversation. For example, my interviewer expressed interest in book recommendations, so I gave her a suggestion of a book I had recently read and enjoyed along with the thank you.
 
I did! My interviewer gave me her business card after and I sent her an email about 2 days after thanking her for her time, saying it was great meeting her and mentioned some things we had talked about during our interview/something we had in common so she would hopefully remember me better lol. I'm not sure if that made a difference or not but I ended up getting waitlisted at that school. I agree though, as long as you make the email sound respectful and professional I don't think it would hurt you.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I sent each one of my interviewers a small blank hand written thank you card along with a couple lines of text, in today's day and age with emails a hand written note is a lost appreciation and art.