Emailing Previous Interviewer from Past Cycle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

paul30

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
(submitted this over at reddit but wanted a second advice as I can see how this can be make or break)

I hope this question doesn't sound too weird, but for some context. Two cycles ago, I interviewed at one school, was WL'd, but hit it off with one of my interviewers who was one of the deans of the school (maybe I'm telling myself that idk). Whenever I hopped in on one of the school's Zoom calls for a specific program, he was there and would PM me asking how I am and everything. When I was on the WL, I emailed him asking about any news and basically said there's still movement and I was very high on the list (idk if he was bs'ing or not, but it did make me feel better). Needless to say, as a ~reapplicant~, I did not get in

Anyways, I was asking to see if it would be weird to email him telling him I was reapplying to the school and how it's basically my dream school lmao. Genuinely would like to be interviewed here again! Specifically, he heads one of the school's specific med programs that I would love to be a part of, and wanted to even ask more information about it (like if they're having their Zoom meetings about it again). Is this too much? (lol...is also emailing the other doctor who interviewed me...too....much...)

Members don't see this ad.

I wouldn’t—once you get past the thank you note, it’s best the just let it be. These people are busy enough with reviewing new apps, conducting new interviews etc.

Reactions: 1 users
(submitted this over at reddit but wanted a second advice as I can see how this can be make or break)

I hope this question doesn't sound too weird, but for some context. Two cycles ago, I interviewed at one school, was WL'd, but hit it off with one of my interviewers who was one of the deans of the school (maybe I'm telling myself that idk). Whenever I hopped in on one of the school's Zoom calls for a specific program, he was there and would PM me asking how I am and everything. When I was on the WL, I emailed him asking about any news and basically said there's still movement and I was very high on the list (idk if he was bs'ing or not, but it did make me feel better). Needless to say, as a ~reapplicant~, I did not get in

Anyways, I was asking to see if it would be weird to email him telling him I was reapplying to the school and how it's basically my dream school lmao. Genuinely would like to be interviewed here again! Specifically, he heads one of the school's specific med programs that I would love to be a part of, and wanted to even ask more information about it (like if they're having their Zoom meetings about it again). Is this too much? (lol...is also emailing the other doctor who interviewed me...too....much...)
Don't do this.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I concur I don't see much benefit in this type of outreach. If you are seriously interested in the programs overseen, maybe. But I wouldn't do what you are proposing.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you everyone :')! I did not do it LOL