Emails to POI

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TBIdoc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all! I am currently and alternate for two of my programs (meaning, i didn't get an interview, but apparently am still under consideration). Would it be inappropriate to contact my POIs at those institutes? I never did it prior, as I didn't want to seem to pushy or aggressive. But now i'm feeling the pressure and kind of want to email them to be known. What are everyone's thoughts?

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hello all! I am currently and alternate for two of my programs (meaning, i didn't get an interview, but apparently am still under consideration). Would it be inappropriate to contact my POIs at those institutes? I never did it prior, as I didn't want to seem to pushy or aggressive. But now i'm feeling the pressure and kind of want to email them to be known. What are everyone's thoughts?

thanks

You say that you are "apparently" still under consideration. I am assuming that means that you have not been told that you are on the waitlist, correct?

Well, if this true, there are two schools of thought on this, so I don't want to influence you one way or the other.

However, if you are officially on the waitlist, then it is okay to check back in with your POI from time to time to show him or her that you have a continuing interest in the program.

thanks! I think i'm going to be proactive and try to email them at least.

I mentioned "apparently" mainly because I didn't even know there was an "alternate" list for those who did not receive interviews (which I guess is a waitlist). If anybody knows what the odds of actually getting a spot from such a list, let me know.

thanks

thanks! I think i'm going to be proactive and try to email them at least.

I mentioned "apparently" mainly because I didn't even know there was an "alternate" list for those who did not receive interviews (which I guess is a waitlist). If anybody knows what the odds of actually getting a spot from such a list, let me know.

thanks

Odds are generally pretty slim at most programs.