Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Embark on a new path?

Discussion in 'What Are My Chances?' started by clabbur, Jan 5, 2009.

1. clabbur

Pre-Medical
    background info: freshman, community college, intent to transfer

I entered college with the intent of being a bio major because I wanted to go to med school and specialize in neuroscience.

WELL. My first semester I took on some tough courses and just got my grades..
    General Biology I: B+
    General Chemistry I: C+
    Calculus I: B+
    English 101: A

My main concern is my chemistry grade..heh. Is a C+ okay?!
    I also found this semester extremely challenging with frequenting the library to write papers and read my textbooks. THIS WAS SOO TIME CONSUMING. This semester has challenged me so much that I honestly feel scared to continue with a biology major. SO I was thinking about changing my major to Psychology.

If I change to psychology with plans to go to med school I would have to do a post-bac or take the science courses on the side.

Any comments or opinions on post-bacs?

I called a few med schools like Brown and UPenn who told me that they accepted pre-med courses taken at community colleges.

2. Catalystik

Catalystik Platinum
    Physician Faculty SDN Advisor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

So you have a GPA of about 3.0 after one semester, and you're discouraged? A 3.0 is redeemable. A lot of students have trouble their first year while they figure out better study strategies. At this point, just one semester of a 4.0 and your GPA will be up to 3.5. Changing your major is fine, if you'll enjoy it and get good grades.

A C+ in Chemistry suggests that you maybe didn't understand the material well. If that is the case, you should repeat it. If not, an A in Chem II would prove you understood the material.

You can find lots of information about post-bacs in the SDN forum on that subject.

#2 Catalystik, Jan 6, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2009
  3. Mobius1985

7+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    It's good you checked this out, but be aware that CC classes are often less rigorous than those taken at a 4-year college, and won't prepare you as well to excel on the MCAT when you take it. There are some med schools that won't take CC credit, or look down on them (whether true or not) as "easy As".