Embarrassed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gurl21

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
When you ask a professor to write you a LOR, do you have to provide them with your transcript? I understand why you would give them your resume and personal statement, but why the transcript? The reason I am asking is because I am embarrassed about some of the grades which I have received. I know that teacher is supposed to write the LOR based on how you performed in their class and on what they know about you, but I'm afraid that seeing my gpa might bias them a little bit into thinking that I'm not as great a student as they thought. Help! Is it necessary to give them a transcript?

Members don't see this ad.

Gurl21 said:
When you ask a professor to write you a LOR, do you have to provide them with your transcript? I understand why you would give them your resume and personal statement, but why the transcript? The reason I am asking is because I am embarrassed about some of the grades which I have received. I know that teacher is supposed to write the LOR based on how you performed in their class and on what they know about you, but I'm afraid that seeing my gpa might bias them a little bit into thinking that I'm not as great a student as they thought. Help! Is it necessary to give them a transcript?

well, if they request a transcript from you before writing your recommendation, then yes it is necessary to give it to them. Don't worry about your other grades. As along as you did well in the teacher's course who is writing your rec, then that's pretty much all that matters. Also, most teachers will not agree to write a recommendation for you if they do not think that you are worth recommending. Have confidence in yourself. If he agreed to write it then he will most likely write a great one for you.

If you know you put 100% into the class from which your getting your recommendation from and the teacher knows and likes you then its all gravy ma.

BTW, s/he may just be requesting it to get a broad idea of what kinds of courses you have taken, and to point out some of your great achievements in other courses. :)

The ONLY reason I would give them a transcript is to refresh their memory on the grade(s) you received in their course.

However, that shouldn't be necessary because they ought to easily be able to retrieve your grades.

Other than that, they have no business looking at your transcript and certainly have no job making a call about your academic skills in any classes other than theirs.

Members don't see this ad :)
Gurl21 said:

If they didn't ask for a transcript, then you don't have to provide them with one if you don't want to. However, if they do require a transcript - to write something about your academic abilities, then yes, you basically have to provide one. It just depends on the professors, some will ask for one and some don't.

The Musketeer said:
If they didn't ask for a transcript, then you don't have to provide them with one if you don't want to. However, if they do require a transcript - to write something about your academic abilities, then yes, you basically have to provide one. It just depends on the professors, some will ask for one and some don't.

no transcript is needed, i never had any of my professors ask for a transcript.

Nendo21 said:
no transcript is needed, i never had any of my professors ask for a transcript.

bump....the professor that asks for your transcripts is usually suspect. I wouldn't have that prof write me one. He/she is supposed to write on the basis of the class(es)/outside research you've taken/done with him/her. He's/She's not supposed to evaluate you on the basis of your transcript...that's the job of the admissions committee.

Good luck.

my prof asked ...but i know he wrote me a great rec because he wrote me one for gateway as well and he used the same one. i got into gateway so it couldnt be that bad lol

thanks everyone for your replies! that really cleared things up for me :thumbup:

If you prof request a transcript, then yes..you should give it to him/her. But otherwise, I'd just write up a list of important info that sums up things about you-- like volunteer work, summer programs you've participated in, mean GPA, course you took with the prof and the grade you got in that class, and any other things about you that portrays you positively.

That's what I did :)