Test Tools Embryology Resources

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LWW Publishers

Test Prep Exhibitor
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This thread is for questions and discussion related to resources for embryology. In this thread, LWW will be raffling off one copy of Langman’s Medical Embryology, 11e. Winners for each raffle will be drawn from among the members who post questions about the product or otherwise meaningfully contribute to the discussion.

Langman’s Medical Embryology, 11e
NEW EDITION AVAILABLE 2/1/2009!
This classic text covers all aspects of embryology of interest to medical, nursing, and health professions students. It features outstanding full-color illustrations and clinical images and photographs, end-of-chapter summaries and Problems to Solve, and Clinical Correlates boxes that provide information on birth defects and other clinical entities directly related to embryologic concepts.

Langman’s Essential Medical Embryology

BRS Embryology, 4e

High-Yield Embryology, 3e

Members don't see this ad.

How often are the materials updated? When this new edition comes out in Feb. How long before the next updated version comes out? I am hoping to use the book for the first 2 years of the basic sciences courses at the medical school. Thank you! :thumbup:

How often are the materials updated? When this new edition comes out in Feb. How long before the next updated version comes out? I am hoping to use the book for the first 2 years of the basic sciences courses at the medical school. Thank you! :thumbup:

Hi StaphRx,

Thanks for your question! Our basic science textbooks are typically on 4 year revision cycles. With the new 11th edition available next month, the 12th edition wouldn't be out until Spring 2013.

Hope this helps! Let us know if you have any other questions.

Thanks!
LWW

Members don't see this ad :)
I didn't know that there was an essential/condensed Langman's. Is it like Moore's Essential Clinical Anatomy (a quick go-to resource for embryo)?

I heard that Embryo is low yield for step 1, how many pages is the embryo high yield book?

Does the medical embryology book offer a CD or online content to supplement the text?

I heard that Embryo is low yield for step 1, how many pages is the embryo high yield book?

~175 pp...I asked Ron Dudek, the author of this volume and the editor for the High-Series about the coverage of Embryo for Step 1. Here's his response:

“It is always difficult to say with any certainty exactly how many questions of a certain topic will be asked on the USMLE Step 1. But, I can say that Embryology is represented on Step 1 and generally asked in some kind of clinical vignette. Only the most typical type of malformations or congenital defects will be asked; and all of these are covered in HY Embryology. For example, congenital adrenal hyperplasia, Hirschsprung disease, DiGeorge syndrome, congenital diaphragmatic hernia, respiratory distress syndrome, hydrocele of the testes, etc. Also, there may be questions on Step 1 that require some background knowledge of embryology in order to answer correctly or that will help you eliminate one of the detractor answers. All said, I think a quick review as provided by HY Embryology should be put into your test prep schedule; just don’t go overboard with Embryology. I still think the big three are : Path, Phar, and Physio.”

Thanks!
LWW

Does the medical embryology book offer a CD or online content to supplement the text?

Thanks for your question. Yes, it comes with online access to the fully searchable text, a question bank featuring 100 Q&A, and a total of 9 animations that demonstrate normal embryologic events and the origins of some birth defects.

Thanks!
LWW

Is there any way we could view a sample photograph or clinical image from the textbook? I'm curious to see what an example in the text looks like.

Is there any way we could view a sample photograph or clinical image from the textbook? I'm curious to see what an example in the text looks like.

Sure--here are two samples from Chapter 7: Third Month to Birth.

Thanks!
LWW

Attachments

• Chapter 7 sample 1.pdf
    398.4 KB · Views: 136
  • Chapter 7 sample 2.pdf
    58.2 KB · Views: 129
Is there any way you could post a section of Langman's and Langman's Essential on the same subject? I would like to see how they differ in the treatment of the same material side-by-side.

i have generally struggled with embryology during med school so any review is helpful

Status
Not open for further replies.