Emedicine for step 2 prep

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Vanquish

Soldier of Fortune
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Guys I was wondering if anyone could tell me if its worth using emedicine/ Uptodate as a reference to look up certain major topics for step 2 prep.
I am right now shooting for a 270+ on step 2. I only had a 244 on step1 so am looking to move up on step 2.:oops:.

Right now I prefer to use emedicine since I am a cheap ass;) and dont have uptodate. But I feel like it is too cumbersome to pore over it to learn stuff and would like to know if it is even needed to get my target score.

Members don't see this ad.

I would say Emedicine is good to read up quickly on a patient during rotations. Also to read up on some topic you need to learn about from a UWorld question answered incorrectly. I definitely wouldn't use it as a reading resource for basic studying - just way too much. UptoDate is probably a poor choice for step studying since there's alot of Up-to-date information on there. If there's some big and breaking treatment change you find on there, it probably won't be a graded question on USMLE just because of the controversy and recent change on that topic would make it's value as a discriminator questionable (two equally smart kids answer differently because it's a hot topic with changing treatments etc.). Just my opinion. I'm sure using either to read more about questions you got wrong is fine, but not really better than using any other resource.

Ultimately, you need to study really hard during M3 rotations and then do an Q@#$ load of QUESTIONS to prepare and rock step 2ck.

I thought Uptodate was a good reference whenever I had a discrepancy between review sources. Their tables/diagnostic algorithms were money for high yield subjects. Definitely helped me smash my test.

Members don't see this ad :)