Emergency dentistry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Perrotfish

Has an MD in Horribleness
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Did anyone here have a good rotation to learn the basics of emergency dentistry (pulling teeth, etc)? Or was that all on the job learning for you guys?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, but I learned blocks, putting putty on fractured teeth and abscess drainage. I do not pull teeth in the ED.

Reactions: 1 user
Dental complaints get a nerve block and pain meds and are then promptly discharged with dental follow up instructions.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Only dental procedures within our scope of practice are nerve blocks, splinting subluxed teeth ( I don’t know anybody who does that), sealing of fractured teeth, and incision of obvious dental abscesses.
Pulling teeth is well outside our scope of practice

Only dental procedures within our scope of practice are nerve blocks, splinting subluxed teeth ( I don’t know anybody who does that), sealing of fractured teeth, and incision of obvious dental abscesses.
Pulling teeth is well outside our scope of practice

My residency I pulled teeth in our two week dental rotation. I actually was going to do that in practice in rural Maine, but my wife put her foot down on hot and cold running moose, so I never got to do it.

Learned that on an EM rotation in OKC. Little dermabond and the metal strip off a non-rebreather or out of a surgical mask does the trick

Did this couple months ago.

20287178_10100772747719269_918405837578626002_o.jpg
20414327_10100772747594519_7873744544456421104_o.jpg

I have tried this but I was unsuccessful. I had a very tough time getting the metal piece to adhere to the tooth, even with drying and using dermabond. Am I missing a crucial step? Any tricks or tips?

Learned that on an EM rotation in OKC. Little dermabond and the metal strip off a non-rebreather or out of a surgical mask does the trick
They do better if you use 0 silk suture. Try multiple pieces together. The less stiff splint allows for better healing.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using SDN mobile

I have tried this but I was unsuccessful. I had a very tough time getting the metal piece to adhere to the tooth, even with drying and using dermabond. Am I missing a crucial step? Any tricks or tips?
Do you have a dental box/cart, and does it have those little abrasive stick things to help scuff up the tooth first? Gives the adhesive something to grab.

If your department has a dental cement of some kind, sometimes the dentist will leave the ED splint on for weeks as the permanent splint, at least that's what the one I asked said.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using SDN mobile

You have to get the teeth very dry. Use a nasal cannal with the O2 cranked way up to dry it out before dermabond placement then during adherience. You may need an extra hand to help.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Stopping the bleeding after a tooth extraction could be a problem. Best to refer to dental (who won't see them without payment).

If your department doesn't have a dental box, i highly recommend taking to your director to get one. www.dentalbox.com Has a great kit with videos on how to use it, and has materials for making splints and sealing fractured teeth.