Emergency Help!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

refreshingred

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, i'm FREAKING out! Several gas programs and internships that I interviewed at told me that they are going to do a "BACKGROUND CHECK" before I start the program. I'm no felon, but I WILL have misdemeanor on my record (a domestic dispute) probably sometime in March or early April.

SO, does anyone know what a program would do if they saw this on my record?

AND

Does anyone know WHEN a program does the background check?

I'm just not sure whether a PD would understand (or take the time to understand) how I got my misdemeanor and how silly the whole thing was. I'm sure someone has been through this before (or knows someone who has) PLEASE HELP!!!

Members don't see this ad.

In all honesty, you are not required to list what might happen in the future. You aren't being dishonest and because the match deadlines are coming in two days, I don't see how it will affect your match. You SHOULD tell whatever program you match with about your situation afterwards to be sure that it doesn't come up unexpectedly in the future.

If the situation is as benign as you say it is, I doubt a program will tear up your contract and try to fish around for a replacement of unknown quality.

If the situation is more serious, you need to get counseling, tell the program of your situation, and explain that you have sought out and received counseling for any difficulties that may currently affect you or affect you in the future.

Do residency programs normally look at their applicants' legal record? This is news to me. Is it true for all programs or just certain programs?

Members don't see this ad :)
rdm said:
Do residency programs normally look at their applicants' legal record? This is news to me. Is it true for all programs or just certain programs?

It is variable with each program. The trend is to do at least some type of basic background check as I have heard that a program in Texas (not ours) accepted a US IMG from one of the Caribbean schools who actually never went to that school and had not even graduated from an undergraduate program. Bought both degrees, but a simple check would have and eventually did turn up the info.

UTSouthwestern said:
It is variable with each program. The trend is to do at least some type of basic background check as I have heard that a program in Texas (not ours) accepted a US IMG from one of the Caribbean schools who actually never went to that school and had not even graduated from an undergraduate program. Bought both degrees, but a simple check would have and eventually did turn up the info.

Medical schools are also doing this. My school did a background check on everyone last semester.