Emergency Med CV Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EM Junkie

SDN Donor
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I am working on my CV for my ERAS Application.

My question is this: Under the "Academic Honors" section, can I list "Clinical Honors" grades received, or should I just list those rotations which I honored the entire clerkship (namely, honored both clinical months and the shelf exam at the end)?

We had a workshop on CV's and personal statements at our school where they reccommended that we NOT include clinical honors, only clerkship honors; but I wanted to get a feel for what is common specifically in emergency medcine.

Thanks in advance!

Scott, FINALLY an MS4

Members don't see this ad.

Including clinical honors is equivalent to grasping at straws. Almost everyone who goes through med school has some clinical honors. I had at least three 3rd year clinical honors, but no clerkship honors due to those %$&*(#$&*# exams.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am in the same boat, lots of clinical honors, but only 1 so far once you include that damned shelf exam. Hey, there's always Medicine!

Thanks for the replies!

What if your jacked up school got rid of the honor program and now everyone is Pass/Fail? I guess my ERAS application is going to be a little bland.

swaamedic said:
What if your jacked up school got rid of the honor program and now everyone is Pass/Fail? I guess my ERAS application is going to be a little bland.

All schools should be pass/fail in my opinion. Either you are competent and pass a clerkship, or you don't. Period.

I don't even know what you are talking about. Schools are so different.

Having interviewed a ton this year, I can tell you, that it would have little effect on the process. If you did really well in your clinicals (aka honored), it should be reflected in your evaluation comments. I wouldn't add them in 'extra'

roja said:
I don't even know what you are talking about. Schools are so different.

Having interviewed a ton this year, I can tell you, that it would have little effect on the process. If you did really well in your clinicals (aka honored), it should be reflected in your evaluation comments. I wouldn't add them in 'extra'

I've gotta agree. I think that your evaluations and comments in your deans letters will show off your clinical prowess. No need to show that you clinically honored. Besides, most of what they are looking at is if your a team player, hardworker, and active thinker, they know that honors can be arbritary.

More importantly bust your butt on your EM month, those evals and your LORs will mean a lot more. Show that your committed to your patients, you follow through, you are nice to patient, staff, and consultants, etc...

my 2 pesos

pinbor1

Hey. I gotta agree with the sentiment that schools are soooo different with the way they deal with grading. My school is totally P/F in the first two years, and we have H/HP/P/F in the clinical years. There is no distinction for us between "clinical honors" and "honors." There is no class rank- and the preclinical years are considered in AOA via Step 1 scores (and extracurrics etc). Also for us, the narrative portions of our grades go out only in the deans letter (too late for me- ophtho) and the narrative grades only go out at all for third year core clerkships- ie your sub-i etc are not taken into account except on the transcript. :luck: