EMERGENCY MEDICINE 2015-2016 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mohands701

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
For the new applicants for the 2015-16 emergency medicine cycle

Members don't see this ad.

Woooo! Thread may be a bit slow for a while as I figure most of us are doing home EM rotations, aways, or studying for Step 2 over July/August. Looking forward to the process though.

I am curious if anyone could help me with this...I am currently in a rotation at a DO EM program. I then have an MD rotation set up where I can obtain a SLOE and the next month I have an MD rotation in EM ultrasound. I have come to find out that a SLOE at a DO program isnt worth much to ACGME programs and that the ultrasound program will not write me a SLOE. Now I'm worried that I will not be able to get 2 SLOE's. I have applied for a lot of programs that are still available on VSAS to try and get a rotation in September and October. Does anyone have any advice for finding an open program at this point and if not will I be ok with just one SLOE?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Won't the DO program write a SLOE? I had one ACGME SLOE and one AOA one and had more interviews than I could handle.

Two ACGME ones would probably be better, but that might be offset partially by a ultrasound letter.

I was unable to secure a SLOE at my AOA rotation due to the program director basically not doing them. I will be able to get one SLOE from my August rotation and hopefully an individual letter as well to have 2 letters then I am hoping to get a regular letter from my EM ultrasound elective. I also recently got accepted for a rotation from 9/28-10/23 where i will be able to get a SLOE. Realistically if I tell the October site my issue with quickness how soon can they get in my SLOE if the rotation ends the 23rd? Also, do EM attendings normally seem receptive to students asking for a LOR especially with the ultrasound elective? Sorry if this post seemed confusing.

My bank account will be hurting by the end of the day.

Who's still waiting on SLOEs? I have 1/3 uploaded. :unsure:

Reactions: 2 users
I have a question...

I have one SLOE from my home institution and I recently completed an away rotation which didn't go well. Fortunately, it will not be on my transcript. I have another away during October from which I can get a second SLOE. If I tell the rotation in October it is my second rotation (I really did three) so they write that on the SLOE, is there any way for residency programs to find out I actually did three?

I have a question...

I have one SLOE from my home institution and I recently completed an away rotation which didn't go well. Fortunately, it will not be on my transcript. I have another away during October from which I can get a second SLOE. If I tell the rotation in October it is my second rotation (I really did three) so they write that on the SLOE, is there any way for residency programs to find out I actually did three?

Like looking at your transcript or something?

I have a question...

I dunno... This sounds pretty risky. EM is a small world and who knows how much talking goes on behind the scenes. You definitely don't want to tarnish your image by hiding something. Have you asked advisors at your school about it?

Edit: Also wouldn't it ultimatelys show up on your transcript or Dean's letter when everything is finalized? Hypothetically when you match, if the program were to find out about this rotation and your hiding it, this might make things a little awkward.

residency roulette commenced

I have a question...

Why does it matter what yiu tell them. Just say you need a sloe. If they ask though don't lie. More importantly are you able to improve on what caused the deficiencies in your poor rotation.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Why does it matter what yiu tell them. Just say you need a sloe. If they ask though don't lie. More importantly are you able to improve on what caused the deficiencies in your poor rotation.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

My three rules for med students:
1. Never lie
2. Come get me (don't try to fix crashing patient yourself)
3. Act interested (you'd be surprised.... but this is usually for non-emergency med students. I could write paragraphs on why this is important. )

You're violating number one. NEVER violate rule 1. Nothing wrong with saying you need a second SLOE. And it's a good learning experience why the other rotation didn't go well. Even if it's not true, good to know you were perceived one way or another.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Good advice.

I agree about telling the truth in the end. I haven't included the letter in my application - I am going to only include two SLOE's with two ancillary letters and hope for the best. If they ask what happened to the second letter I will tell them I did the rotation, what I learned from it and that I thought this letter was more representative of my characteristics overall. Does that sound safeish?

I talked to my adviser and they told me not to include the second SLOE and get the one from my next rotation.

If you feel like the SLOE will kill your chances than don't send it out, but don't lie on the next rotation that they are your number two rotation and not your third.

got my step 2 back today. dropped from mid 240s step 1 to high 230s. any advice / will this be problematic? Still think I'll match somewhere so not quite that anxious, just bummed I guess.

Damn this whole experience is a racket. Just dropped ~1300 on ERAS and transcript fees, not including what I already spent on AOA apps, which was a lot less but still significant. I'm sure this will seem like nothing when the interview travel expenses start hitting.

I don't know about you guys and gals, but just got my 32nd interview invite this evening :p...not bad considering I only applied to 30 programs ayy lol?!

Reactions: 3 users
How many programs is everyone applying to?

I'm a US MD student with a 222 Step 1 and 246 Step 2, mostly B's with a few A's, and pretty average EC's. I feel like I have no idea where I stand so I'm applying to 60.

~60 here, similar stats...applied AOA too and getting close to a safe number of interviews there as a backup but I think I may prefer ACGME so I'm scheduling them all later in he fall and cancel a bunch if ACGME interviews start rolling in. I see these threads where people with 240/260 step scores are applying to 50 programs so I kinda feel like I have to cast a wide net.

Step 1 265/Step 2 270/AOA/GHHS/WDWN/NAD/CTAB/LOL. I applied to all 168 programs. Sold several organs to finance my application. Looking forward to working only weekdays 9-5 in EM. I've only received 10 interview invites so far, should I be nervous??? :shifty:;)

I see these threads where people with 240/260 step scores are applying to 50 programs so I kinda feel like I have to cast a wide net.
Always remember that SDN represents the top 1% of a group of ambitious and neurotic individuals. YMMV.

Checking in for 2015-2016 cycle. Best of luck to all! You know, unless you want my spot. You can have the other ones. :highfive:

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
DO student. Applied to 43 programs. So happy to get this interview season rolling. Finishing up my last of 3 electives next month, then will have officially checked out of 4th year. Good luck yall!

DO student. I applied to 63, but a good number of those are in competitive places (west coast, NYC, Chicago)/reach programs.

USMD average real life stats (not average SDN stats lol)...applied to 35. Ghost ride the whip into residency everyone...aka good luck yall!!

I also am on the 43 band wagon (and 4 combo EM/IM/CC). My bank account is so unhappy with me/
Average step 1, taking step 2 in Oct due to a death in the family. HP on all clerkships. We'll see how it goes!

Slightly above average stats with good EC's. Applied to 67 programs. Reasoning being I am a DO and couples matching. Should be an exciting few months. Waiting on my 3rd letter and 2nd SLOE which will be uploaded on October 1st.

US MD student, average grades, honors in EM and away, Step 1 mid 220s, Step 2 high 250s. Applied to 50, but I'm couples matching and would've applied to closer to 30 if not for that!

Last edited:
Anybody gotten interview invites yet? I know that some programs wait until MSPEs are available in October before offering invites, and I've heard that others wait until ACEP is over before the invites come out. Just curious to see if everyone else's inboxes are as quiet as mine.

I'm at -1 at the moment...think I pissed off the program I did my away at 2 months ago asking for an update on my SLOE the other day...(aka sitting at zero lol).

Anybody gotten interview invites yet? I know that some programs wait until MSPEs are available in October before offering invites, and I've heard that others wait until ACEP is over before the invites come out. Just curious to see if everyone else's inboxes are as quiet as mine.

Its way too early, I got a couple "we are reviewing your application" emails but that is it.

US IMG step 1 250 step 2 259. Applying with 2 SLOEs from one program. Doing my second rotation in October hoping to pick up one more sloe. Applied to 138 programs. Would be happy with a 7.5% interview return.​

I doubt I'll hear anything until my 3rd letter comes in
Yeah I'm still waiting on my third letter to be uploaded as well. Trying to not be pushy.
Its way too early, I got a couple "we are reviewing your application" emails but that is it.
Same. I got one from Lehigh Valley almost right after I submitted, but nothing else. Looking back at last year's thread it looked like the earliest anyone posted an interview invite was 9/18 but most came after October 1st once MSPEs were released. Which makes sense I guess.

US MD, around 1SD above the mean on steps, a few honors (including EM) and have all EM letters. Applied to 40 something programs.

Last edited:
USMD, step 1 250, mostly clinical honors (including EM), 2SLOEs, 43 programs and zero interviews as of this AM. Bah.

relax guys. October 1 is when many/most programs will start to look at you.

It's been 3 days and you guys are already worried about invites?

Reactions: 1 users
Invite this AM for one of the combo EM/IM/CC. Eeeeee

It's been 3 days and you guys are already worried about invites?

Couples matching, and my partner is getting overloaded with invites - already has 8 interviews. It's going to be tough coordinating programs when she will likely have 15+ scheduled before October.