Emergency medicine chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EMHOPEFOOL

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I’m in need of advice. I’m a DO student wanting to desperately match into emergency medicine. The problem is that I did horribly on my COMLEX 1 (410). I lost my son around my exam period and was completely devastated. Is all hope lost? Is there a way to overcome and match successfully? I need some advice here.

Members don't see this ad.

I cannot advise you on matching because I have not even started school...but I am sorry for your loss. I can tell you that even if you match into family med you can do a one year ER fellowship and still work ER. I know several docs who have done this. The only downside is you cannot teach ER residence or work in a big level 1 trauma center as an ED Doc.

First off, I’m so sorry for your loss. Second, all is not lost, but you will have to do A LOT of legwork and there will be no guarantee of success.

Personally, I had mediocre to crappy board scores, I only interviewed at four programs, two of which were required by their policies to interview me, and ended up matching at a program who cared more about the rest of the application than scores (matched in the AOA match). Their APD specifically told me that they mostly only care whether someone passed the boards rather than the scores themselves, as that’s a good indicator that someone will pass the boards during residency. This was a very stressful interview/match season for me, and a lot of things happened for me by luck and/or me reaching out to all the programs I could.

Just wondering, did you do USMLE at all? A high score in that despite a low COMLEX will help with some programs. Also, improving on Step/Level 2 will help your chances as well. Finally, make sure you do some EM audition rotations at hospitals with an EM residency. These are the only places you can get a SLOE from, at least 2 of which are required for matching at most EM programs. These letters aren’t just vanity exercises; make a good impression, and they will mark it in the letter. I had specific things from one of my auditions brought up in an interview; because, the attendings were impressed enough to note it in my SLOE.

Sorry for the long post. TL/DR, your dreams are possible, just very difficult from this point. Feel free to PM me if you want to talk more about it.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
As someone who matched a similarly somewhat competitive program (OB) with average stats (not 410 low, but still) I think it is possible. However, you should:

1.Get amazing SLOE
2.Share your story of your son in your PS. It's a legitimate reason for your score as well as excellent material for showing who you are as a person.
3. Your level 2 needs to start with a 5.
4. Apply only DO or former DO programs.

Hope is not lost. If you really want ER continue to pursue it and consider FM with ER year as backup

DW

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
As someone who matched a similarly somewhat competitive program (OB) with below average stats (not 410 low, but still) I think it is possible. However, you should:

1.Get amazing SLOE
2.Share your story of your son in your PS. It's a legitimate reason for your score as well as excellent material for showing who you are as a person.
3. Your level 2 needs to start with a 5.
4. Apply only DO or former DO programs.

Hope is not lost. If you really want ER continue to pursue it and consider FM with ER year as backup

DW

This is the best advice so far. I went unmatched in AOA EM this year with 524/545 and strong SLOE's, bailed on ACGME since the numbers were against me (only 2 interviews). Took a TRI linked to an EM program. I can also second @FutureMcCoy18 on taking USMLE, If you think you can get a good enough score to offset the COMLEX, Do it. I'm taking from basically now until my TRI starts to study for Step 1. It sucks as a 4th year! Feel free to PM me as well.

Reactions: 1 user
I’m sorry for your loss. I think your only chance would be taking USMLE step 1

First off, I’m so sorry for your loss. Second, all is not lost, but you will have to do A LOT of legwork and there will be no guarantee of success.

Personally, I had mediocre to crappy board scores, I only interviewed at four programs, two of which were required by their policies to interview me, and ended up matching at a program who cared more about the rest of the application than scores (matched in the AOA match). Their APD specifically told me that they mostly only care whether someone passed the boards rather than the scores themselves, as that’s a good indicator that someone will pass the boards during residency. This was a very stressful interview/match season for me, and a lot of things happened for me by luck and/or me reaching out to all the programs I could.

Just wondering, did you do USMLE at all? A high score in that despite a low COMLEX will help with some programs. Also, improving on Step/Level 2 will help your chances as well. Finally, make sure you do some EM audition rotations at hospitals with an EM residency. These are the only places you can get a SLOE from, at least 2 of which are required for matching at most EM programs. These letters aren’t just vanity exercises; make a good impression, and they will mark it in the letter. I had specific things from one of my auditions brought up in an interview; because, the attendings were impressed enough to note it in my SLOE.

Sorry for the long post. TL/DR, your dreams are possible, just very difficult from this point. Feel free to PM me if you want to talk more about it.
Thanks for your advice . I didn’t take step 1 but I’m registered for both COMLEX 2 and step 2. The way my rotations are set up makes it difficult to study for step1. I’m hoping to do well enough to make up for my poor COMLEX 1 score. I was wondering how many aways should I do ?

This is the best advice so far. I went unmatched in AOA EM this year with 524/545 and strong SLOE's, bailed on ACGME since the numbers were against me (only 2 interviews). Took a TRI linked to an EM program. I can also second @FutureMcCoy18 on taking USMLE, If you think you can get a good enough score to offset the COMLEX, Do it. I'm taking from basically now until my TRI starts to study for Step 1. It sucks as a 4th year! Feel free to PM me as well.
That’s a great strategy. I will probably do the same should things not work out. How possible is it to match from a tri? Is it looked at favorably?Do you need to take level 3 as well?

Thanks for your advice . I didn’t take step 1 but I’m registered for both COMLEX 2 and step 2. The way my rotations are set up makes it difficult to study for step1. I’m hoping to do well enough to make up for my poor COMLEX 1 score. I was wondering how many aways should I do ?

Like I said, you need at least two rotations at a center with an EM residency, preferably with an MD residency. Attendings with DO residencies generally don’t know how to write a good SLOE.