Emergency medicine doctor was under anesthesia when he was supposed to be supervising a hospital unit

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. Wexler

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
"Theodore Christopher, the longtime head of Jefferson's emergency medicine department, apologized to his staff for failing to notify the on-call emergency physician in his absence, sources said."

Members don't see this ad.

What? You’re not allowed to get a colonoscopy while on shift?

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
“Christopher was required to activate the system by calling “jeopardy,” the term used to summon the on-call emergency doctor.

His failure to do so on Oct. 30 resulted in Christopher being placed on a leave in November, three sources said. He was back working in the hospital by early December, they said.”

How utterly bizarre. He got suspended for like .. a month ?!

I mean, I can see where the schedule gets screwy and you're supposed to be in one place and you're in another.
I've showed up for my shift on the wrong day.
I've showed up at the wrote site at the wrong time, had to get back in my car and drive to the OTHER site.

Disclaimer: I am not at Jefferson and have zero firsthand knowledge, but I am going to piece together a plausible series of events based upon reading between the lines in the article.

Dr. Christopher, chair of Emergency Medicine at Jefferson, is working a shift in their CDU. Like most CDUs, it's a cushy shift and overstaffed with both an intern and an NP on with him. He rounds in the morning and things are smooth - it's not like a regular ED shift where you're constantly seeing new patients; they're all just chilling, waiting for stress tests and serial troponin results. Cue sudden BRBPR. As a longtime academic chair, the just texts his buddy who's the division head of Gastro who of course finds a way to squeeze him in for a same day colonoscopy. Hell, he can even get him in before his shift on the CDU ends.

Now, instead of formally calling in the jeopardy faculty to cover the CDU, he decides that's overkill and after all, he's the chair. Maybe he even tells one of his faculty that are workin in the main ED downstairs that he's going to step off the unit for a doctor's appointment and to he backup for the intern and NP. Keeps someone from having to be called in at home. What a thoughtful boss.

Now what he's forgotten is that he's not actually a very thoughtful boss and based upon a recent gender discrimination investigation, his faculty don't particularly care for him and think that he's dismissive, sexist, and absolutely not somebody that you're going to be a "homie" for. So whether Dr. Christopher was reported by a disgruntled nurse, a disgruntled NP, a disgruntled intern, or a disgruntled faculty member slaving away in the ED and now is also being asked to help out in case someone in the CDU starts dying, someone reports him for leaving duty without calling in appropriate backup.

This story, like malpractice, boils down to a simple idea. You don't get in trouble if make sure people like you.

Reactions: 10 users
"Theodore Christopher, the longtime head of Jefferson's emergency medicine department, apologized to his staff for failing to notify the on-call emergency physician in his absence, sources said."

haha. it happens. we used to have 1 attending for 3 pods, 24 beds and had one time, an attending incapacitated in an ED room on drips with no back up attending anywhere.

Two birds, one anus. He's the epitome of efficiency.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Look, this is not good and it definitely warrants a reprimand, but there were multiple other licensed physicians present in the ED at the of the incident. What kind of significant enemies does this guy have to make this a literal newspaper story? I guess all of the discrimination complaints give some idea...

Reactions: 1 users
What? You’re not allowed to get a colonoscopy while on shift?

Look, if the Secretary of Defense can head off to the hospital and get admitted to the ICU without anyone else knowing, what’s a matter with a doc getting a little scope on shift? Amirite?

/s

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users