Emergency Room

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FALL06

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi forum....I'm a soon to be first year student at Scholl and I was wondering if anyone could give a little insight regarding podiatric residency. Do we spend time in the ER during clinical rotations or in residency? How much emergency room exposure do we get and how often will we take emergency calls as physicians? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hi forum....I'm a soon to be first year student at Scholl and I was wondering if anyone could give a little insight regarding podiatric residency. Do we spend time in the ER during clinical rotations or in residency? How much emergency room exposure do we get and how often will we take emergency calls as physicians? Thanks

Depends on the residency program. Most programs will have an ER rotation. At the programs that I have been at, including the one I am currently at, one of the residents is always on call. You take call for all of your inpatients, as well as the ER. In the last few weeks, I've gone in for gas gangrene, a pilon fracture, a bimalleolar fracture, and a diabetic foot infection that we ended up having to amp.

After residency, ER call depends on where you end up and what you want.

Members don't see this ad :)

I guess at Scholl we get to experience the Cook County ER in our clinical rotations, which will present a huge variety of cases. I believe this is where the show "ER" was shot.

I guess at Scholl we get to experience the Cook County ER in our clinical rotations, which will present a huge variety of cases. I believe this is where the show "ER" was shot.

I can't wait for Cook county hospital ER rotation. It's going to be amazing!!!!

We have podiatry residents take call for the dpm's at my facility. I always call them before the ortho guys because the pods residents actually want to get out of bed and operate on foot/ankle fxs. the ortho guys always want spint and outpt f/u with delayed procedures for horrendous fxs.....

We have podiatry residents take call for the dpm's at my facility. I always call them before the ortho guys because the pods residents actually want to get out of bed and operate on foot/ankle fxs. the ortho guys always want spint and outpt f/u with delayed procedures for horrendous fxs.....

I felt a need to respond to this post to clarify the orthopod's thinking when he/she is called about one of these "horrendous fxs" (distal tibia, pilons, ankle fx-d/l, ect.). In most cases, bad lower extremity fractures are secondary to a high energy mechanism and have a significant soft tissue component. The last thing a surgeon should be doing is cutting into compromised soft tissue, this can lead to a long road of treatments that ultimately ends with a BKA. If there are no emergencies (close, no vascular injuries, and no compartment syndrome) then a closed reduction, immobilization, and discharge home with a follow-up is absolutely the correct thing to do. Some patients may have to be admitted, monitored, and may require an ex-fix. There is nothing wrong with residents that come in to evaluate the patient's injury and perform the initial management. However performing acute definative surgery on a high energy pilon is wrong, there is no good reason to perform acute surgery unless you have an emergency or going to apply an ex-fix. The doctor burns no bridges by waiting 1-2 weeks for the soft tissues to calm down. On the other hand, a chronic pilon infection, with a nonunion, and pus draining out of a sinus tract is a disaster.

I felt a need to respond to this post to clarify the orthopod's thinking when he/she is called about one of these "horrendous fxs" (distal tibia, pilons, ankle fx-d/l, ect.). In most cases, bad lower extremity fractures are secondary to a high energy mechanism and have a significant soft tissue component. The last thing a surgeon should be doing is cutting into compromised soft tissue, this can lead to a long road of treatments that ultimately ends with a BKA. If there are no emergencies (close, no vascular injuries, and no compartment syndrome) then a closed reduction, immobilization, and discharge home with a follow-up is absolutely the correct thing to do. Some patients may have to be admitted, monitored, and may require an ex-fix. There is nothing wrong with residents that come in to evaluate the patient's injury and perform the initial management. However performing acute definative surgery on a high energy pilon is wrong, there is no good reason to perform acute surgery unless you have an emergency or going to apply an ex-fix. The doctor burns no bridges by waiting 1-2 weeks for the soft tissues to calm down. On the other hand, a chronic pilon infection, with a nonunion, and pus draining out of a sinus tract is a disaster.

the above is the training that most pods these days are recieving, and it is supported by the literature.

I wonder where those other pods went to school and what residency they are at?

Thanks for the replies everybody....did not mean to cut the thread short by replying to the second post...so I'd really like to hear about more experiences in podiatric residency regarding this topic.
thanks
Fall07*

Thanks for the replies everybody....did not mean to cut the thread short by replying to the second post...so I'd really like to hear about more experiences in podiatric residency regarding this topic.
thanks
Fall07*

In my residency program, the on call Podiatry resident are the first one contacted for any foot and ankle trauma or issues in ER. Of course, there is a Podiatric Surgeon attending that is also on call for the night as well for anything that comes in from the ER. The Orthopedic Surgery do not have a problem with Podiatric Surgery taking primary call for foot and ankle trauma from the ER at my hospital. The Podiatry services handles all types of foot and ankle trauma, including pilons. The residents also do an one month rotation though the ER so that they can be exposed to various aspects of Emergency Medicine.