Emergency Root Canal

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

1FutureDDS

Dani California
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
one week ago i had a filling put in that was very close to the pulp chamber, well after trying to live through the horrible pain for a week, i got my friend dentist to perform a root canal, the nerve was completely balled and dead. Well my question is, if the nerve was taken out, is it a guaranteed done deal or could there be more nerves in there? Keep in mind this is tooth number 13

It has been about 8 hours since i had the root canal, I can not sleep, and the pain is soooooooooooooo bad even with high doses of pain killers and antibiotics(hydrocodone 10/650, and Clindamycin) am i done up right or could there be something wrong seeing that I am experiencing pain very similar to what i experienced during the last week?

Members don't see this ad.

Its probably still infected. Although from what i've read it is possible for some teeth to have pretty much hidden canals sometimes. I don't know dental anatomy yet so i'll let someone else chime in :D

Yes, #13 (upper left 2nd premolar) can indeed have 2 canals... I remember reading in the endo texts that about 30% of people have 2-canal 2nd-bi's. I did two #13 RCTs during dental school and they both had 2 canals.

Best way to check? Look at the x-rays (including a shifted shot).

Definitely go back to your dentist as soon as you can if you have that much pain. It may be caused by a number of things: A pulp stump, an unfound canal, debris left in the canal, failure to establish patency and drain a root-tip abscess if there was one, etc.

HTH!

Members don't see this ad :)
I am almost certain that he said "yep, you definately only have one canal" but im just not sure. I am simply trying to find reasons behind the pain. The tooth itself was highly infected before i had any work done ( excess bleeding). From the first filling, the dentist just filled it up and from what everyone tells me, he probably blocked off the drainage and that is what caused the pressure buildup followed by the worst pain i have ever experienced - for a WEEK. It seems to be going away slightly.

The reason I finally broke down and HAD to get it done by emergency, the tooth started feeling as if it was VERY VERY sensitive to movement, as if it was going to blow out of my mouth like a bullet. Now, after the root canal, the tooth still feels very similar to the said symptoms. It is 6:40 AM here in Texas, the dentist who I am good friends with and shadow, who performed the RCT will be at his office at 8am, which is 20 seconds from my house. I am up for good due to the pain and I am kinda just waiting around.

Let this be a warning to anyone with any cavity formation, blow off the going out and blowing money on clothes and alcohol for a weekend, save your money and get it fixed asap dont let it get out of control :) I never thought the pain would be NEARLY this bad.

Your post-op pain is most likely due to apical instrumentation. Meaning that during the root canal instruments/filling material routinely goes out the end of the tooth into the bone. So, you've got an already "hot" tooth with inflammation at the root apex. Now the bone at the apex has been further irritated by the root canal procedure. Basically, it's going to take a week or two to calm down. This does not mean you are infected or that there are any nerves left. If it doesn't improve in 10-14 days, then go back and see your dentist. Take the pain med and add 2-3 advils with each dose. Unfortunately, this is a common problem when people have emergency root canals done.

my understanding is all 2nd bicuspids have only one canal...except the ones that don't.

OP, i'm assuming u had another visit with your bud the dentist...
...how did it go?

I went back to bring him and his staff some breakfast, and by that time the pain was pretty much completely gone, i still feel queezy and weird now but its MUCH better. thank god for best friend dentists huh? :) or the fact that im going to be one myself may of helped me get in no charge.... i am very thankful.

I cant believe I tried to live it out, and picture this, the first day after i had the filling put in (the day with the worst pain) I had to drive 1.5 hours to take my Kaplan final at 6pm at night, i took my kaplan final and killed it, also killing the PAT section at the end, when I was hurting so bad I wanted to give up. Overall, my tooth is fixed and I believe i will be dominating my DAT soon.

yeah, it's a little known fact that gutta percha increases dat scores by 25%..
:)

curious..
was the original filling "permanent"...like maybe a white or silver filling?
..or what it a "temporary" filling?

1FutureDDS said:
I cant believe I tried to live it out, and picture this, the first day after i had the filling put in (the day with the worst pain) I had to drive 1.5 hours to take my Kaplan final at 6pm at night, i took my kaplan final and killed it, also killing the PAT section at the end, when I was hurting so bad I wanted to give up. Overall, my tooth is fixed and I believe i will be dominating my DAT soon.

not silver, definately adark filling, assuming temporary

must have been cavit......take care.....

The vast majority of time when you get severe pain immediately after the anesthesia wears off post root canal therapy, its the inflammation, not the infection that's the problem. I've learned after many, many of these situations that when I work on a "hot" tooth that I'll often give the patient a prescription for a steriod dose pack (Solumedrol) in a 5 day tapering dose. Since I've learned this trick about a year ago, the number of "day after" root canal pain patients I get calling has fallen essentially to zero :clap:

My rule of thumb for post endo pain now is:
pain 1 day later = inflammation which equals steroids
pain 2 or more days later = infection which equals antibiotics and often narcotics

Also, always, always tell your root canal patients to expect the area to feel like you have a moderate to severe bruise for a couple of days. That way the 2/3rd's of the time that your patients have no post op pain, you look like the greatest dentist in the world :D , and the other 1/3rd of the time, your patient's are expecting things they're not on the phone calling you at 2AM :eek: ;)

if inflammation will simple NSAID like naproxane do the job?

badaboom said:
if inflammation will simple NSAID like naproxane do the job?

It often will at high doses, i.e. 800mg Ibuprofen every 6 hours for 2 to 4 days, however I do find that when you switch over to the steroids, that the methyl prednisone (Solumedrol) is much more consistant in its pain relief

Hello,
I also think that it is still infected and not done right. so i think you have to show it to dentist or remove it and do again because many time when not done correct it pain all time.

good luck!!

why the heck would you revive a 6 year old thread especially one that was asking for dental advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.