Emergency supply for c2 for ny

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

icekitsune

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I have a question on the control prescription 72 hour cover. If you didn't receive a cover in 7 days, would we need to call the dea or just document it. If you called the dea, would anything happen?

Members don't see this ad.

From https://www.health.ny.gov/regulations/controlled_substance/part/80/docs/80.pdf
Within 72 hours, the prescribing practitioner shall cause to be delivered to the pharmacist the original official New York State prescription. If the pharmacist fails to receive such prescription, he/she shall notify the Department* in writing within 7 days from the date of dispensing the substance.

*"Department" means the Department of Health of the State of New York.

Notification form: https://www.health.ny.gov/forms/doh-4358.pdf

From my experience sending a ton of these, nothing will happen.

No but telling the office your need to call the BNE and DEA will help with their motivational issues. I usually prefess the phone in with "we need a cover in 72h or I have to report it to the state BNE". They seem much more interested in taking our address

Members don't see this ad :)
This is probably a stupid question but how stringent is the 7 days, I mean if it's in the mail per md, but it's been past 7 days. Or if it's past 7days and the form wasn't faxed in that 7 day window.
It's not 7 days. It's 72 hours. YOU have 7 days to report it (72hr + 7 days = 10 days from date of prescription).

It's not 7 days. It's 72 hours. YOU have 7 days to report it (72hr + 7 days = 10 days from date of prescription).
Oh ok, I assumed "within 7 day of dispensing" that you start counting from the day md calls in and it was filled, not 72 hours later. I looked at the form, it has a lot of patient info there, kinda surprised. If it's a regulatory agency, hippa isn't a concern correct?

Oh ok, I assumed "within 7 day of dispensing" that you start counting from the day md calls in and it was filled, not 72 hours later. I looked at the form, it has a lot of patient info there, kinda surprised. If it's a regulatory agency, hippa isn't a concern correct?

Oh, you're right. Within 7 days after pickup.

HIPAA is not a concern here. You're reporting all the data to the dept via the PMP already.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Oh, you're right. Within 7 days after pickup.

HIPAA is not a concern here. You're reporting all the data to the dept via the PMP already.

I think it's past 7 days at this point, so I'm not sure how concerned we need to be, at the same time , it might be in the snail mail....that's why I was wondering about the 7 day part

I think it's past 7 days at this point, so I'm not sure how concerned we need to be, at the same time , it might be in the snail mail....that's why I was wondering about the 7 day part

Snail mail doesn't have anything to do with it. If an MD doesn't get the prescription to your pharmacy in 72 hours, it should be reported. Whether they use the mail or hand deliver is inconsequential. It's not the postman's responsibility to meet the deadline. It's the physician's.

Snail mail doesn't have anything to do with it. If an MD doesn't get the prescription to your pharmacy in 72 hours, it should be reported. Whether they use the mail or hand deliver is inconsequential. It's not the postman's responsibility to meet the deadline. It's the physician's.

True.

Last edited:
E-rx now count as the cover, so that should help alleviate some of the issues with the post office as well.

E-rx now count as the cover, so that should help alleviate some of the issues with the post office as well.
How would they date the prescription as the cover? Authorized for emergency dispensing dated on xx?

How would they date the prescription as the cover? Authorized for emergency dispensing dated on xx?
They should be able to enter the "date written". I know I've gotten post-dated eRx's before.

"zelman, post: 18529556, member: 296820"]They should be able to enter the "date written". I know I've gotten post-dated eRx's before.[/QUOTE]

So the mmdsg office should be able to send a ex that's dated when they first called in, would the rd be printed and attached to the phone rx? I can't find any info about erxerx as a cover though it would make sense