Emf

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

inaccensa

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So EMF is simply voltage or so called terminal voltage. When there is no current flowing through the battery, there is a max voltage. EMF causes generation of electrical energy from chemical energy. When the current begins flowing, the voltage drops across the resistor. So the E = W/q AND V=IR, so when we do circuit problems

The voltage across the circuits, when there is no current flowing through it is not zero

What is the significance of E, is it simply that it helps to generate electricity in a battery. I'm confused with the relation between E and V and why is this important, how does it relate to what we are doing in circuits

Members don't see this ad.

So EMF is simply voltage or so called terminal voltage. When there is no current flowing through the battery, there is a max voltage. EMF causes generation of electrical energy from chemical energy. When the current begins flowing, the voltage drops across the resistor. So the E = W/q AND V=IR, so when we do circuit problems

The voltage across the circuits, when there is no current flowing through it is not zero

What is the significance of E, is it simply that it helps to generate electricity in a battery. I'm confused with the relation between E and V and why is this important, how does it relate to what we are doing in circuits

Someone?

It's a semantic difference mostly from what I remember.

EMF is the potential difference measured across the terminals of a power source, and voltage is the difference measured across any two points. So for your purposes, EMF = voltage, but if you see EMF in a passage, you know you're dealing with a power source of some sort.