EMG and PM&R Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bbbmd

Pain Doctor/Physiatrist
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just wanted to know how much exposure other residents got to SSEPs, facial nerve and blink reflexes during residency? How many EMG months do you get during residency? How many EMGs do you actually get to perform by the end of residency? Would you be ready to do EMGs on your own after residency? Would you consider an EMG fellowship?

I know that many of the SDN regulars are at some pretty respected programs and I just wanted to know how other residents feel about their EMG training.

Members don't see this ad.

bbbmd said:
I just wanted to know how much exposure other residents got to SSEPs, facial nerve and blink reflexes during residency? How many EMG months do you get during residency? How many EMGs do you actually get to perform by the end of residency? Would you be ready to do EMGs on your own after residency? Would you consider an EMG fellowship?

I know that many of the SDN regulars are at some pretty respected programs and I just wanted to know how other residents feel about their EMG training.

Funny you should ask, since I am on my EMG rotation as we speak. We at LSU have 4 dedicated months of EMG, plus 2 months of additional exposure during during the course of our outpatinet rotations. During the first dedicated month of EMGs, I have personally performed ~70 studies (4-6/day), which is about our monthly average.

I have done no SSEP's thus far, however, we are about to start a research study looking at SSEP's in relation to CVAs and functional recovery, and so will be doing several weekly starting this month. Residents do not do many blink reflexes, although I have been fortunate enough to be involved in 4 thus far in my residency. I would certainly feel confident doing the basics right now, and suspect after 3 more months of training, the complexities of EMG will be another tool I can put in my bag of tricks. I believe graduates of my training program go into private practice ready to perform EMG's on day one.

I do not think I would consider an EMG fellowship necessary unless I intended to be involved in an academic EMG setting.