Emory DPT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sogirl

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey just got my acceptance yesterday from Emory, and have not seen it mentioned much on this site. Anyone else planning to attend Emory or have any thoughts on the program?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm an Emory DPT student. Overall I'm really enjoying the program, it's challenging but the faculty and other students are willing to help you do well. Atlanta has fun things going on around the city and, while we are busy a lot of the time with school, you definitely have time to have fun if you stay on top of your work. I don't know exactly what information you're looking for, but if you have any questions, feel free to ask!

Thanks..I really loved the program and campus when I interviewed and it is one of my top choices! How is housing in Atlanta? Do most of the DPT students live fairly close to campus? Any ideas where to look for apartments?

Members don't see this ad :)
There are tons of apt complexes in the area with a pretty wide range of prices. One bedrooms are generally $750+ per month, but what a lot of people ended up doing was getting in touch with someone else in the class and renting a 2 bedroom to split the cost, which brings rent down to like $450+ per month depending on where you decide on. I think it was around this time last year that one of my classmates started a facebook group for our class so we could get in touch before school started, that's how I found my roommate. As far as specific apartments to check out, I would look at Post Briarcliff Apartments, Briarcliff Apartments, The Preserve at Briarcliff, or Gables Sheridan. That'll give you a good price range of apartments, plus all of those are on the Emory shuttle route, so if you want to avoid paying for a parking pass you have that option. These apartments are about 3 miles away from campus and are close to the highway (85), grocery stores, shopping plazas, ect. The other nice thing about these apartments is that a lot of the PT students live in the area (and I would bet a lot of the Class of 2014 will end up around here too), which makes meeting up to study a little more convenient.

I'm in Emory too, but am waiting to hear back form a few other schools before I make my final decision! How is the cohesiveness between students there?? Also, would you describe your experience so far there as "fun?" I know wherever I end up will be a challenge, but I have been told that it is really important to go somewhere that you will enjoy! So i was wondering what you think... Thanks!!

My class is pretty close... People go out together on the weekends, have a weekly "dinner club", and play IM sports together all the time. Emory also tries to unite the different classes by pairing up first and second year students as "littles and bigs". Your big is there to answer any questions you have before you get here and once you start classes. They're a pretty good resource since they were in your shoes a year ago.

As far as having fun, if you can manage your time well and stay on top of your work, you can usually make time each day to relax or have a little fun. Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of weeks where you'll spend more time studying than anyone would ever want to, but I think that's what you can expect in any DPT program.

RugbyPT,

Do you feel like the class size is too large for a good faculty-student ratio? What is the ratio? How collaborative are all the 60~ students? I realize this may vary from year to year but hopefully it is consistent? Thanks.

My class has 63 students, which sounds like a lot, but it really isn't bad. In lecture you are generally with your entire class and one instructor. It's a pretty open environment so if you have any questions the professors and the other students are fine using class time to go over things. If you don't want to ask questions for whatever reason in class, the professors all have office hours you can sign up for where they'll review anything.

In labs you're with no more than half of your class and there are at least 2 instructors (often more) with you all the time. Our labs this semester literally have 5-6 instructors with us all the time, so you get plenty of interaction with them. The exception to this is in anatomy lab, the entire class is in the lab at once with two instructors. There are 4-5 students per cadaver, I don't know how this really compares to other schools, but so far I don't have any complaints about student/faculty ratios.

As far as other students go, most of my classmates are very helpful and willing to work with others. Obviously there are always exceptions, but there are a lot of study groups and most people are really open to helping you out even if you don't necessarily hang out with them or study with them often.

I've decided on Emory! I just got a really good feeling during my interview. I'm so excited... and a little nervous. June is just around the corner! :)

Good choice! Haha... Let me know if you have any questions!

Hey everyone! So I just received an e-mail asking if I wanted to attend an interview at Emory on March 18th! YES :D! Here's the dilemma though...I mean I'm really excited and don't get me wrong...but I know this is pretty late in the year for an interview considering they started interviewing in November. Do you think I have a chance of getting accepted even though many of the seats for the class have probably been taken? I mean I figured...why not give it a shot? :xf:

Oh and is anyone else going to go on March 18th as well?

Hey

I can't imagine Emory would hold interviews if they aren't actively seeking to fill student slots that are actually open. Considering that most of their applicants reside outside Atlanta, the ethics of inviting you to go to the expense of traveling to Atlanta for a bogus interview would be pretty questionable, and I don't believe they're inclined to operate that way. Assume you are being treated the same as any other person applying for a space in this year's class. I've been accepted and I'm still trying to adjust to the idea that it is actually going to happen (and, since I'm VERY poor, I'm going to have to cough up a huge pile of cash to get started).

Anyway, best of luck with your interview. Be yourself, trust that your interviewers want to see you in the best light, and see for yourself whether it's the place for you.

Cheers

There are people in my class admitted from interviews in March last year so I would imagine there are still spots in the class. The department knows how expensive getting to interviews can be so I really doubt they would keep inviting people if they aren't accepting anyone else. Good luck!

For those of you that have decided to come to Emory, feel free to ask me any questions. Also, if anyone is feeling motivated, starting an Emory DPT 2014 facebook group might be a good idea. We had one last year and it really helps if you're looking for a roommate and with filling out all the paperwork you'll be getting soon.

There are people in my class admitted from interviews in March last year so I would imagine there are still spots in the class. The department knows how expensive getting to interviews can be so I really doubt they would keep inviting people if they aren't accepting anyone else. Good luck!

For those of you that have decided to come to Emory, feel free to ask me any questions. Also, if anyone is feeling motivated, starting an Emory DPT 2014 facebook group might be a good idea. We had one last year and it really helps if you're looking for a roommate and with filling out all the paperwork you'll be getting soon.

I tried starting a facebook group but I can't! It won't let me start a group unless I invite somebody.. but I'm not friends with anybody in the class yet. If people want to, they can message me on here and then we can add each other on facebook, and then we can start a group! :)

*Here's the facebook group! The class of 2013 made it for us!*

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_132370506834113&ref=ts

Last edited:
Hey:

I'd be glad to join the Facebook group for 2014 class. My name is Michael Saunders, I'm in Atlanta, and my email addy is [email protected]. Cheers,

m

Hey Mike,

I tried finding you on facebook, but I couldn't.. at least, I found a lot of people with your name. If you follow that link I posted you should be able to request to join or just join the group!

:)

Thanks--I've joined the group now.

Cheers

m