Emory DPT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jchen707

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
If anyone is applying to emory's DPT program and has questions, feel free to PM me. Good luck to everyone applying!

Members don't see this ad.

It was just brought to my attention that Emory is no longer doing rolling admission. Their deadline according to PTCAS is 2/1/13. So the admissions process will be slightly different this year. A professor was saying that this is the first year they will not do rolling admission and are trying it out. good luck

How heavily does Emory look into GREs? Would you say I should take my GREs again for Emory?

Here are my stats:

Overall GPA: 3.6
Pre-req GPA: 3.6 (estimated)

GRE: Ver 142, Quan 148, Writing 3.0 (probably unheard of)

Observation/Work Hours:
800+ as an Inpatient Physical Therapy Aide at a Rehab Hospital,
350 as a Rehab Tech at an Outpatient Clinic
20 at a VA Hospital ICU as an intern
80 at various Out Patient clinics as a volunteer

Recommendations: 4 total (2 from professors, one from a PT/Employer, one from a PT)

Extra Curr:
-President/Co-Founder of a nonprofit (since senior year of undergrad) dealing with sending medical supplies overseas to underserved hospitals in Africa
-Peer advisor at my university
-Anatomy Preceptor/Teacher Assistant (one-semester long)
-Headed Public Relations of an African Student Org (one year)
-Mentored community children (one-summer long)

Members don't see this ad :)
How heavily does Emory look into GREs? Would you say I should take my GREs again for Emory?

Here are my stats:

Observation/Work Hours:

Recommendations: 4 total (2 from professors, one from a PT/Employer, one from a PT)

Extra Curr:
-President/Co-Founder of a nonprofit (since senior year of undergrad) dealing with sending medical supplies overseas to underserved hospitals in Africa

Looks like your verbal is 15th percentile and quant. is 35th percentile. Their PTCAS page doesn't show any minimums for GRE. IDK much about the program but I'd think that your verbal is too low. Their duel degree DPT/MPH looks interesting. This school's prerequisites are interesting too. No chem or social sciences?

i'm not sure what those GRE scores are converted. I took the old one and I'm pretty sure most of hte people in my class did, so I don't know where taht score stands when it comes to "if they are good enough"

greco- lets be honest, none of hte pre-reqs required by most schools are all that foretelling of whether or not you can complete the program and become a good PT. gen chem, required at most places, might have an indirect affect when your'e learning stuff for physiology but it definitely isn't something that is the end all be all (i was a biochem major, and have been through 1.5 semesters already). honestly, I feel like PT school pre-reqs are just a way of weeding out people who are completely unfit for the healthcare profession. Just like the GRE is more of a competency exam for PT school rather than a predictor which the MCAT, DAT, LSAT etc... were meant to be. A good PT program will teach you all that you need to know regardless, and Emory is one of the nation's top PT schools. I don't meant to start an arguement, just clarifying since you were wondering.

i'm not sure what those GRE scores are converted. I took the old one and I'm pretty sure most of hte people in my class did, so I don't know where taht score stands when it comes to "if they are good enough"

greco- lets be honest, none of hte pre-reqs required by most schools are all that foretelling of whether or not you can complete the program and become a good PT. gen chem, required at most places, might have an indirect affect when your'e learning stuff for physiology but it definitely isn't something that is the end all be all (i was a biochem major, and have been through 1.5 semesters already). honestly, I feel like PT school pre-reqs are just a way of weeding out people who are completely unfit for the healthcare profession. Just like the GRE is more of a competency exam for PT school rather than a predictor which the MCAT, DAT, LSAT etc... were meant to be. A good PT program will teach you all that you need to know regardless, and Emory is one of the nation's top PT schools. I don't meant to start an arguement, just clarifying since you were wondering.

I agree. Here's a link to analyse scores: http://www.ets.org/s/gre/pdf/concordance_information.pdf

As one of jchen707's classmates, feel free to contact me as well with questions about the program. Good luck in the application process and hopefully I'll see some of you on campus for your interviews.

Last edited:
Just for some info, ptcas lists Emory's minimum combined score for GRE verbal and quantitative as 297. Therefore I would retake the exam! Good luck!

http://www.ptcas.org/ptcas/public/Listing.aspx?seqn=198

Here are my stats:

Observation/Work Hours:

Extra Curr:

If anyone is applying to emory's DPT program and has questions, feel free to PM me. Good luck to everyone applying!
Hey, I applied to Emory for the entering class of 2013. I recieved an email saying that they will be getting in contact with me in early January to let me know if I have an interview or not. I really would love the opportunity to get into Emory so I was just wondering what are the chances of getting an interview?

My stats:
Cum GPA: 3.44
Pre-Req GPA: 3.0
GRE combined: 297, Anaylitical: 4.0
Extra Curricular: Vice-President of Allied Health Club, Writer for School Newspaper, Miss UNCF 2011-2012, Pre-Alumni Council, Dental Club, Secretary Allied-Health, Senior Class President, Treasury Officer for Church, Women's Ministry Officer for church.
Observation hours: 110, 80-in patient-hospital, 230- Out-patient

I applied to Emory on PTCAS but haven't sent in my supplemental, and now I am wondering if I should bother. If they don't have rolling admissions and their supplemental isn't even die until the beginning of Feb I feel like I will have to make a decision about other schools before I hear from them. I have been accepted to one school and have interviews this month. Do you think I will hear from Emory way to late?

I applied to Emory on PTCAS but haven't sent in my supplemental, and now I am wondering if I should bother. If they don't have rolling admissions and their supplemental isn't even die until the beginning of Feb I feel like I will have to make a decision about other schools before I hear from them. I have been accepted to one school and have interviews this month. Do you think I will hear from Emory way to late?

Emory said they will be sending out interview invitations starting in mid January and interviews will occur every week of February. If you are really interested in Emory, I would recommend applying and see where it goes. If you're not so passionate about it then maybe not. As far as deadlines go, you can always talk to the school that you are admitted to already and see if they would let you delay your decision while you wait on another school. A lot of programs are understanding and will give you some more time.