Emory Grading System

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hkard

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What's the grading system at Emory? I know it's currently letter grades, but I read that they're switching/have switched to Pass/Fail.

Members don't see this ad.

What's the grading system at Emory? I know it's currently letter grades, but I read that they're switching/have switched to Pass/Fail.

They voted in December, and both the 1st and 2nd years are now P/F.

Isn't that going to make a GPA from Emory a joke? If you don't have to fight through the early weeder classes how can you claim to have a legit GPA?

Members don't see this ad :)
Isn't that going to make a GPA from Emory a joke? If you don't have to fight through the early weeder classes how can you claim to have a legit GPA?

I think they're talking about the med school

I, at least, and I *think* the OP was talking about med school grading, which is quite often pass/fail.

That would make a little more sense : )

Does anybody know what they put on the Dean's letters for residency programs (rank/quartile/adjective)? Also, are grades kept from 1st and 2nd years to compute rank?

Another thing you would want to know is if grades are kept internally for class ranking purposes. If there is a class rank, what's the point of having a P/F system?

Current Emory M1 here, and we're true P/F for the pre-clinical years. No hidden ranking or H/HP/P, just straight-up Pass or Fail. The only thing residency program directors see form your first two years is "satisfactory" or "unsatisfactory."

Also, here's a tip for you: If you want to know if a school is TRULY pass/fail, find out if they offer merit scholarships after M1 year. If they do, they're keeping a class rank and aren't true pass fail. A number of schools claim to be P/F, but then offer merit scholarships to the top ~15% of the class. Call me cynical, but I'm betting they use that class rank in the Dean's letter as well. I ran into a couple of these on the interview trail last year, Emory isn't one of them.

Last edited:
Another thing you would want to know is if grades are kept internally for class ranking purposes. If there is a class rank, what's the point of having a P/F system?

To encourage cooperation rather than competition. That's the thinking at least.

To encourage cooperation rather than competition. That's the thinking at least.

Right, but if you're getting ranked, it's not true pass/fail, because your performance still matters. And seriously, there is just as much "collaboration, not competition" at schools with traditional letter grades.