Emory/Opus

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JMM051

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those of you that applied, how long after submitting on SOPHAS did you get a correspondence from Emory regarding Opus? Did it come by mail or e-mail? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

It took Emory a month before they gave me access to OPUS (by email)... although when they'll actually send me a decision is a whole other story :-/

I received my OPUS info (by email) two weeks after SOPHAS mailed out my app. And now I can't stop checking that darn thing!

Members don't see this ad :)
SOPHAS mailed my app on 12/7, and I received an email to access OPUS yesterday (12/15).

The email says that it may take 48 hrs to create an account before I can obtain my network ID and password. Does it generally take this long? I've been trying to obtain the ID and password but it keeps telling me that no such applicant exists with my birthdate and SSN... I guess I should wait until tomorrow before I start to worry.

my SOPHAS was submitted 10/26, then emory replied saying it was complete and gave me access to OPUS on 11/15 and 11/16. So, at that time is was 14 business days; though, I can only imaging that period is becoming longer as more people are submitting.

well, based on the previous posts, it seems as if emory is not consistent with sending that email.

*** Emory will be reviewing applications through next week, so, right up until christmas***

(Emory didn't know when exactly the adcom members would be all there after the holidays)

I submitted my SOPHAS Sept 24, it was verified and mailed Oct 1, and I received an email from Emory granting me access to OPUS on Nov 16. My decision letter was available through OPUS Dec 14 and I also received an email with their decision the same day.

I submitted my SOPHAS Sept 24, it was verified and mailed Oct 1, and I received an email from Emory granting me access to OPUS on Nov 16. My decision letter was available through OPUS Dec 14 and I also received an email with their decision the same day.
You already heard from Emory?!? I'm so jealous!

For a point of reference...SOPHAS mailed out the 17th. I already have an OPUS account set up. Didn't receive notification from Emory but I got the info from logging on the Emory website. Now I get the join the fun check Opus 100x a day club :)

I designated Emory at SOPHAS by November 29,2009 and SOPHAS mailed the application on December 1, 2009

I got access to OPUS thereafter in about less than 10 days and an acceptance email on December 22, 2009!!

I think it depends on an "absolutely" complete application [ including WES evaluations, scores and 3 letters instead of 2] and whether you are applying early or in a rush season like late December or January.

Last edited:
thomao & ameyagsmc--in which departments were you accepted?

Emory has had my "absolute" application since November 17...

Welcome to the club, JMM051! :)

GH @ Music333
Then probably it has something to do with the department and the number of apps a particular department reviews. If you have applied to say Epi/HPM...it may take more time...But I am not sure about this...

Members don't see this ad :)
When I log into OPUS, it still says that my GRE score is "initiated' but it has been a solid 3 weeks since ETS sent them my score. Any idea whats going on? Maybe they received it but haven't updated it?

Tiesto, the same thing happened to me -- you should be fine, but if you'd like to follow up on that you'll need to do the following:

1) Call SOPHAS and make sure they've both sent your scores online and also by mail.
2) Once confirmed that both have been sent, call Emory. My scores were archived in a queue to be processed, but once I called, they went ahead and updated my file immediately...

Dear Emory,

I better hear from you this week!

Thanks,
Music333

Music333,

Please let me know ASAP if your gentle reminder works. I will then send gentle reminders to the schools I want to hear from.

Thank you,

Nibor6000

thomao & ameyagsmc--in which departments were you accepted?

Emory has had my "absolute" application since November 17...

Welcome to the club, JMM051! :)

I was accepted to BSHE.

Thomao- if you don't mind me asking, what are your stats?

Music333,

Please let me know ASAP if your gentle reminder works. I will then send gentle reminders to the schools I want to hear from.

Thank you,

Nibor6000
It worked! :laugh:

Dear Schools I Want to Get Into:

I'd better hear from you this week!

Sincerely,

Nibor6000

I second that.

It worked last time, it should work this time too! :)

I was told from my top choice's admissions office that if I don't get anything by the end of the week to call them. Which means it should be on it's way. Eeeek!

Haha why do they insist on making our lives difficult? It's not like it would have killed them to tell you over the phone if the decision's already been mailed out...

I was told from my top choice's admissions office that if I don't get anything by the end of the week to call them. Which means it should be on it's way. Eeeek!

It made me nervous at first because I assumed it had to be bad if they wouldn't tell me...but then I saw another school did the same thing to Music333, telling her she would know soon and then 3 days later bam! in!

Hopeful hopeful hopeful.

Dear Emory, Yale, UPitt, UIC, Ohio State,

I hope to hear at least from one of you by the end of this week.

Thank you,

DJTIESTO14

Did anyone else have issues initially getting into OPUS? I got the first email about a week ago.... I contacted opus help but haven't heard anything yet.

I didn't have a problem getting in. I clicked on the link that asks you to request network ID. On the other hand, it took a while for them to update the profile to complete.

As a current Emory RSPH student, I can assure all of you that no one likes opus.

jkmph,
as a current emory sph student...what do you think? definitely recommended? love it/hate it? any thoughts? THANKS!

jkmph,
as a current emory sph student...what do you think? definitely recommended? love it/hate it? any thoughts? THANKS!

Love. Definitely glad I came. I'm from Maine so living in Atlanta and going to Emory has been a huge cultural, as well as academic, experience for me. I would recommend it to anyone. It's not perfect, but the good far outweighs the bad.

I've exchanged PM's with some students in this thread so they may be willing to copy and paste some of the more detailed responses I've provided them.

Good luck!

Dear Emory, Yale, UPitt, UIC, Ohio State,

I hope to hear at least from one of you by the end of this week.

Thank you,

DJTIESTO14

I got a nice rejection letter from Ohio State!

Love. Definitely glad I came. I'm from Maine so living in Atlanta and going to Emory has been a huge cultural, as well as academic, experience for me. I would recommend it to anyone. It's not perfect, but the good far outweighs the bad.

I've exchanged PM's with some students in this thread so they may be willing to copy and paste some of the more detailed responses I've provided them.

Good luck!
Hello, I hope you don't mind me to ask: which schools were you deciding between, and what made you pick Emory?

I got accepted to Global Epi and I applied to epi for other schools as well.

Thanks! :D

My application was sent out by SOPHAS on January 6th - even though they had it since Dec 17. The adm office at Emory informed me of Opus on Jan 13, and learnt today via email that I got accepted in the applied epi program! Still waiting to hear from Harvard.

My application was sent out by SOPHAS on January 6th - even though they had it since Dec 17. The adm office at Emory informed me of Opus on Jan 13, and learnt today via email that I got accepted in the applied epi program! Still waiting to hear from Harvard.

Awesome, hopefully I will hear soon too then! I got my OPUS info January 11 and my "application complete" email on January 13... I applied for Epi as well.

Hello, I hope you don't mind me to ask: which schools were you deciding between, and what made you pick Emory?

I got accepted to Global Epi and I applied to epi for other schools as well.

Thanks! :D

Seriously considering? Yale, Ohio State (father's alma mater) and Emory (there were others I wasn't considering such as BU, Pitt, etc). I chose Emory because my father (PhD) has done sabbatical here a couple times and spoke very highly of the school. Atlanta is also dramatically different from where I was raised and a great cultural experience too.

And anyone who knows Yale knows it's in one of the ****tiest locations in the world. New Haven, Conn sucks.

YAY I got into EMORY!!!!

Acceptance for BSHE (applied to the Health Ed. track)

Sent by SOPHAS 12/29
Email from Emory that app was complete on 1/11
Was told 3-6 weeks and it was only 11 days!!

SOPHAS mailed my app on 1/20
Got an email from Emory about OPUS on 1/26

Okay, stupid question: How is Rollins pronounced? Rollins (like "roll"), Rahllins, or Rawllins?

I found my letter of rejection in OPUS this morning and hoped they will consider my second and third choice, but their coordinator said I was denied by all three programs that I applied.
This is even the first decision I've got by now!
crying

I found my letter of rejection in OPUS this morning and hoped they will consider my second and third choice, but their coordinator said I was denied by all three programs that I applied.
crying

Don't be discouraged!

My first response was from UNC and was a rejection.
I was upset too, the first one being negative but after a few weeks I got some good news and got an acceptance.

Different people make up the adcoms and you don't know who is looking at your portfolio and what they are looking for.

Good luck! :)

I agree. You don't know what they look for. Emory denied me but Michigan accepted me. Texas accepted me but Ohio rejected me.

Different adcoms look for different things and numbers aren't everything.

crying

oh man i just saw my rejection letter too!

I'm sorry guys :(
Hope to hear some good news from you all in the coming weeks, stay optimistic!

I know there are a few Emory epi students on here..any current or past BSHE students?

Received an acceptance to HPM via email and OPUS on 2/1

Received an acceptance to HPM via email and OPUS on 2/1

Wow, that's pretty impressive! Congrats! What other schools did you apply to? Would you mind sharing your stats?