Emory vs. Brown

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Blake333

Reaction score
So i've been accepted to Emory and Brown and am unsure which is better. Location doesn't matter too much for me although i do like a city feel. Providence seemed city-ish enough for me but I could be wrong. I loved brown and had a great interview. Brown has a more prestigious name but Emory is higher ranked in the USNWR (idk if any of that really matters lol, just an observation). Which is better?

Members don't see this ad.

It's hard to say without knowing what is important to you in both your career/educational goals and personal preferences. You honestly can't go wrong with either school though.

So i've been accepted to Emory and Brown and am unsure which is better. Location doesn't matter too much for me although i do like a city feel. Providence seemed city-ish enough for me but I could be wrong. I loved brown and had a great interview. Brown has a more prestigious name but Emory is higher ranked in the USNWR (idk if any of that really matters lol, just an observation). Which is better?
Were you a brown undergrad?

Members don't see this ad :)

So you're already familiar with the USNWR rankings.

There are also rankings by residency program directors and separately rankings by other medical schools.

You can find these rankings on posts #27 and #31 by #efle (elf?) on the following thread:
What is a T20 School?

Emory Med is rated significantly higher than Brown Med on rankings by USNWR, residency directors and peers (ie other medical schools). Emory is actually ranked higher by residency directors and peers than by USNWR.

Emory has a massive medical center with many hospitals within walking distance and is especially strong in infectious disease training/research. It's located right next to the Centers for Disease Control and has a strong school of public health, as well as a strong business school. Emory Med's incoming dean has a strong background in cancer research and was recruited from Harvard Med last year. Emory Med just received a $400 million donation last year to build out its cancer treatment and research facilities.
Robert W. Woodruff Foundation makes groundbreaking gift to transform 21st century health care | Emory University | Atlanta, GA

If you know a few specialties you’re interested in, look up the people that are involved in the department. See how much they contribute to that specialty. That stuff goes a long way (I.e having a department that is well connected and known). Also see how many students and where students match if they chose that specialty.

I don't know anything about brown. In terms of Emory, it is the dominant medical provider in Atlanta. You will train at Emory University Hospital, Grady County Hospital (this is one of the primary reasons people, especially residents, come to Emory), the VA, Emory Midtown, the Emory Clinic etc etc. It is a major referreral center in the Southeast, so you will see everything.

Emory graduates do well in the match, largely because residency directors know the clinical training is superb. The phrase that M4s hear the most from residency program is "You trained at Grady, so we know you can handle anything"

I’d disagree w/some of the above posts insinuating emory has a better reputation in medicine than brown. Brown has a very strong reputation and matches students into top institutions, often in very competitive specialties across the country. I know in many specialties (e.g. ortho), brown is def on par with or better than emory.

The usnwr rankings (including the PD and peer reputation rankings) are nonsense. For example, the PD reputation rankings massively underrate Yale, Sinai, and Case Western. You have to understand that their methodology for calculating those PD scores is not very rigorous at all.

I think both schools here are great and have about equal reputation (though if you want to match at an ivy or in the new england area brown may very well be stronger). At the end of the day go where you will be happiest and think you will be best able to succeed, given that finances are not an issue.

If you truly want to see a bit of everything, Emory is the way to go. It also has early exposure on the wards, dedicated research time and amazing staff.

I’m partial to Emory. I worked there for my gap year, and was super impressed by both their clincial and research strength. While brown has reseach, emory is more well rounded.

Clincial training is easy to overlook as a premed, since it doesn’t matter til M3. But it’s a huge benefit in terms of residency placement, as people will know you’ve seen it all. Grady is an amazing place to train, and you’ll manage patients/conditions that just aren’t seen in most places.

One huge drawback though is that Emory doesn’t video record their lectures (they just record transcrips) which is an enormous pain in the butt.

Edit: grammar

Nationally, and in the world of medicine, Emory does have a hands-down better reputation. Brown is also a great school! Don't get me wrong, but Emory is just in that next tier of medical school. Congrats on getting into both these phenomenal schools!

The name of each school will help your career. If you visited both choose the better fit (weather, closeness to family, lifestyle, etc.)

Reactions: 1 user