Emory vs Cornell - Time Sensitive

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheCoolBean

5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'd say go where it's cheaper. It sounds like the schools are pretty even in your head. Have you gotten financial aid packages yet?

Disclosures: I was accepted to Weill Cornell but will be attending another school. Didn't interview but applied to Emory.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

In summary, my heart says Emory because I would probably be happier there overall and it would definitely be an easier transition (but again, who knows). Emory was my #1 choice going into the interview season. I would probably be more comfortable in ATL, but that is not to say I won't adapt and adjust to NYC.

I think the above statement says a ton. Full disclosure: I was on the WL at Cornell, but relinquished my seat when I got off the WL at my #1 choice. I also gave up an Ivy I got into to attend my #1 choice, which happened to be the place I felt I would be happier at.

You really can't go wrong with either school. NYC will certainly be a tougher transition, but you would eventually acclimate (as everyone does). Being from the area, I can say you'll have to get used to the attitude of the city. I wouldn't say Cornell itself is "intense and gunnery," its just the way NYC is. New York City is a massive shark tank, and you have to thrive in that type of environment. It's the land of competition; your classmates will be there for you, but you will be competing with kids from Sinai, NYU, and Columbia. If you feel you can thrive in the city, don't worry about the transition - you will do great!

With all that said, when you say Emory is where your heart is pulling you, and where you would be happiest - no brainer. I would say Emory (unless for some reason Cornell gives you a good amount of money). Everyone loves the ivy name, but remember, those retired doctors you're talking about are far removed from the burdens of being in a massive amount of debt. Everything is shiny from the outside, and retired doctors are probably old enough where they weren't hit by the immense increase in tuition and expenses that affect our generation. If anything, I would try to ask a younger doctor (graduated within the last 10-15 years) for their opinion.

I'd say go where it's cheaper. It sounds like the schools are pretty even in your head. Have you gotten financial aid packages yet?

Disclosures: I was accepted to Weill Cornell but will be attending another school. Didn't interview but applied to Emory.

Thanks for the help ! Both schools are pretty even in my head, thus making it such a hard decision. I am still wait listed at Emory (and who knows if I will get in) so I don't know how financial aid works out, but I imagine both schools will be close enough in terms of finances that it's not a big factor.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think the above statement says a ton. Full disclosure: I was on the WL at Cornell, but relinquished my seat when I got off the WL at my #1 choice. I also gave up an Ivy I got into to attend my #1 choice, which happened to be the place I felt I would be happier at.

You really can't go wrong with either school. NYC will certainly be a tougher transition, but you would eventually acclimate (as everyone does). Being from the area, I can say you'll have to get used to the attitude of the city. I wouldn't say Cornell itself is "intense and gunnery," its just the way NYC is. New York City is a massive shark tank, and you have to thrive in that type of environment. It's the land of competition; your classmates will be there for you, but you will be competing with kids from Sinai, NYU, and Columbia. If you feel you can thrive in the city, don't worry about the transition - you will do great!

With all that said, when you say Emory is where your heart is pulling you, and where you would be happiest - no brainer. I would say Emory (unless for some reason Cornell gives you a good amount of money). Everyone loves the ivy name, but remember, those retired doctors you're talking about are far removed from the burdens of being in a massive amount of debt. Everything is shiny from the outside, and retired doctors are probably old enough where they weren't hit by the immense increase in tuition and expenses that affect our generation. If anything, I would try to ask a younger doctor (graduated within the last 10-15 years) for their opinion.

You are right about the NY atmosphere, certainly got that vibe from my limited experience up there. The Cornell students were amazing though, very kind and helpful. It's great to get someone's solid opinion, especially someone who was in a similar situation, so thank you. The thing I tell myself about going to medical school in NY is that its a high risk-reward situation. I might go there and hate it, but its equally probable that I love it, perhaps even more than Atlanta. If I do end up loving it then that's where the reward comes in, because I will have access to amazing resources and be studying in one of the best cities in the world. So, I really don't know.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
You are right about the NY atmosphere, certainly got that vibe from my limited experience up there. The Cornell students were amazing though, very kind and helpful. It's great to get someone's solid opinion, especially someone who was in a similar situation, so thank you

Of course! Best of luck making your decision :)