emory vs. vanderbilt

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mimidoc^2

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
From the info I've gathered, it seems these schools are very comparable. A couple exceptions are 1) I have heard from faculty that Vanderbilt the institution more readily invests money to support "big science," new lab technologies, etc. than does Emory 2) Emory has the traditional letter grade system all 4 yrs of med school, whereas Vandy uses pass/fail for 1st year (maybe 2nd year too?).

Do ya'll have any opinions as to which is stronger in medicine and/or research?
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I visited both schools, and I was much more impressed by Emory than Vandy. Clinically, Grady will give you an amazing experience. On the research side, I felt that Emory might not throw as much money at "big science", but I felt that the quality of the researchers was better - this is obviously influenced by the faculty that I met with while there. If you are interested in immunology, than Emory is a hands down clear choice over Vanderbilt. If you are interested in other research, you'll have to investigate that a little more yourself. One thing that I didn't like about Vanderbilt is that they were building up as oppose to out - it started to remind me a bit of WashU (which I didn't like). Anyway, as far as grading goes, you have decide if letter grades are that bad.

For location, I thought Atlanta was a much better place to live than Nashville. Of course this is a completely subjective thing. For what it's worth, they are both good schools and you'll get a great education at either of them. Good luck with your choice.

Mitro said:
One thing that I didn't like about Vanderbilt is that they were building up as oppose to out - it started to remind me a bit of WashU (which I didn't like).

So you don't think it would be a good place to go because you go up stairs instead of across the street?

to the OP: PM me if you want to know anything specific about life in Nashville or about Vandy.

No, it's just that I felt emory had more room to grow than Vanderbilt did. It's also a little distracting to have construction going on overhead as oppose to across the street.