Employee Background Check for Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

problemchild

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I had a question about the residency employee background check. To cut a long story short, I recently got fired from a position that I listed on my ERAS application. It has all the details of the place, including the supervisor's name and is listed as my current place of employment. (Can't change that info)

Here's where I need your feedback!
Do programs retract offers after something like being fired or a bad reference comes up on the background check?

Edit: changed the question since people were unable to offer advice for the previously posted question. Also tried keeping it short. Any feedback will be appreciated, thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
All of the gory details are still in the other, locked thread.

Your post is confusing two issues -- a "background check" and an "employer check". A background check is a legal search of your history for legal problems. Being fired, as long as your employer didn't file any charges, won't show up on a background check. Almost all programs will have a background check as part of your onboarding process.

An employer check is contacting all/any prior employers to confirm your prior employment. Although any employer can do this, it's variable. Each employer needs to be contacted individually.

Before the match, I have too many candidates to consider contacting their prior employers. After the match, I'm just checking to make sure there isn't some critical issue in your past that will cause problems. This is neither, as long as your employer didn't file charges. Then, you've got trouble.

Reactions: 1 user