Employer funding problems

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psych902

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm working towards licensure on a temp 1-year contract. My employer recently has had severe funding issues and have delayed paychecks, and also asked staff to take time off without pay. I wanted your thoughts on how concerned I should be about this going forward? I don't have any information on whether the situation will stabilize or not in the future.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm working towards licensure on a temp 1-year contract. My employer recently has had severe funding issues and have delayed paychecks, and also asked staff to take time off without pay. I wanted your thoughts on how concerned I should be about this going forward? I don't have any information on whether the situation will stabilize or not in the future.

Why are you working there?

I'd start looking for other options. Outside of some highly unlikely scenarios (e.g., they just fired somebody who was stealing money from the agency, replaced the management who didn't catch it sonnet, and put in more stringent controls; they just got a new high value contract), if it's the same management, same revenue streams, etc., I'd be surprised if things were to get better. While it can be problematic having to explain to potential future employers why you left a previous position, "not paying me for work and forcing unpaid leave" not likely to arose suspicion.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd run like hell. If they are publicly funded, then they're just breaking labor laws. If they're privately funded, then they're breaking labor laws and they're already out of businss and are too prideful to tell. Remember blockbuster still paid employees.

If it's a private practice, ask your boss to cash in his 401k or take out a home equity line of credit to pay you. His reaction will show you how much he cares about anyone else. Do not take a partnership, because it could throw the debt into you.

There have been times when my private practice had cash flow problems. None of my employees have ever known, because that's my responsibility that I took on in hiring them. Likewise, they don't know when the practice makes bank in a month because they are employees, not partners.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm guessing this is a private practice, since I can't imagine any larger system tolerating this (or getting away with it). Regardless, I'd plan an exit strategy very quickly. Depending on how far along you are towards licensure, I MIGHT consider sticking around until I had enough hours just because it would make it easier to move into the next position and who knows how this person would react to your leaving at this stage (maybe its a blessing if they wouldn't have to pay you...maybe its a nightmare because you were bringing in money). That depends on: A) How close you are (if it would be more than a couple months I wouldn't risk it); and B) How disruptive things like a couple weeks without pay are to your life. Obviously no one likes it, but if I was 2 weeks away from licensure I'd probably suck it up and dip into savings to avoid the hassle and loss in negotiating power associated with not yet being "licensed" on the job market. Personal call and depends on a lot of nuanced circumstances.

Either way. document the hell out of everything. You might even want to talk to the board about the best way to do this. If the practice goes belly up and your supervisor disappears, you don't want to be stuck repeating post-doc because no one can verify your hours. That would be my biggest concern in this situation. If not an issue, I'd just start looking elsewhere (quickly).

Reactions: 1 users
How long do you have on your contract?

Last edited:
Thank you everyone, that is really useful. I took up the role to accrue hours towards licensure. My employer is a community provider and I've go just under 1 year to go on my contract. I'm logging all my hours and having them signed off weekly. How bad would it look for me if I looked elsewhere? In terms of future employment prospects?

We can't answer how it would look for you since we don't know the local community, what your goals are, etc., etc. Its a very nuanced question. Did you just get there or have you been there 1 year already? If you leave something after 1 month it can look out of place on a CV. If you were there a full year already, I don't think anyone would give it a second thought.

If you have a full year left, I'd be looking elsewhere without a second thought. Anyone who held it against you that you didn't stay at an employer that couldn't afford to keep paying its employees isn't worth giving the time of day, let alone considering as an employer.

The contract doesn't matter if he is not paying you. It would be considered a breach of contract, and most unemployment offices would consider it constructive dismissal.

Reactions: 1 user
How bad would it look for me if I looked elsewhere? In terms of future employment prospects?

You're being asked to delay/forego pay- its totally fair/understandable for you to look elsewhere, and prospective employers should understand and not hold it against you in the least. Ifvthey don't pay you timely for work you've done, I'd even argue that they've technically decided that you're not really an employee.

The real question is not how long you have been there, but how many hours have you accrued licensure and what is the opportunity cost of leaving. Worst case scenario the practice won't sign off on your hours and you restart if you leave early. However many clinics and smaller practices can't fill many hours. So, if you are accruinv gem quickly, I would look around, but consider the opportunity cost of delaying licensure as well since it is a considerable pay bump.

That's a raging dumpster fire of a practice (as described). You should have started looking for a new job the second they told you there was a delay in payment. If they are having a problem paying you, they are most likely are already having problems paying the rent/utilities/other. They should have made adjustments far before this and the fact that it got to this point tells me there is also a management problem.

Last edited:
Either way. document the hell out of everything. You might even want to talk to the board about the best way to do this. If the practice goes belly up and your supervisor disappears, you don't want to be stuck repeating post-doc because no one can verify your hours. That would be my biggest concern in this situation. If not an issue, I'd just start looking elsewhere (quickly).
This is worth repeating. Make sure to notify the board because these things have a way of popping up later and who knows what your supervisor/employer will tell them.

Reactions: 1 user